Best, no, easiest way to drive in a ground rod?

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by N4FFL, Dec 28, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. WB5YUZ

WB5YUZ Ham Member QRZ Page

In most soil types, the T-post driver will work very well for the physically fit. Others conditions may require power tools.

N4FFL likes this.
  2. N4FFL

N4FFL Ham Member QRZ Page

Jon - I appreciate the info. I thought of this, but it ended up being as much as the Ground Rod driver tool for my rotary hammer drill. So, I thought I'd give that a shot first and see how it goes. LOL If that doesn't work for some reason, I can always fall back on this. :)

3. K4SAV

K4SAV Ham Member QRZ Page

Yep, and as a bonus you get to skip gym for the day.

A sledge will end in frustration (or maybe worse). Use it on only the last foot or two.
    Fence post drivert.jpg

K4TTJ, WZ7U and N4FFL like this.
  4. N4FFL

Here in where the problem lies. LOL.. Hehehe...not really funny, but fact is fact. I'm not exactly in the position of hammering or slamming down a rod into the ground. That's why I was hoping there was possibly a better way. :) So, I'm going to try the hammer drill method and see what happens. Have to wait for the bit to come in first though...so maybe I'll get lucky and it will be here early enough on Sunday that I can give this a go.

AD5HR likes this.
  5. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Ham Member QRZ Page

Hire a bored teenager for $10 works for me....
    Ymmv

K9ASE, WB5YUZ and N4FFL like this.
  6. N4FFL

Hmmm....maybe I could have my stepson try this first before I bring out the power tools. LOL! :D

K9ASE likes this.
  7. AJ6O

AJ6O Ham Member QRZ Page

I took a piece of 7' 1/2" emt and connected a female short piece of garden hose with a hose clamp. Connected it to my garden hose, turned it on and then you can drill down into the ground in about 2 minutes. Makes a little mess, but works great. Being a retired electrician I can confirm that using a hammer drill with a ground rod attachment is the easiest, and best way to go.

8. AJ6O

AJ6O Ham Member QRZ Page

This for
    This for sure beats using a hammer!

N4FFL likes this.
  9. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

The easiest way is to employ sheer force.

This was the advice given to me by a Karate instructor.

N4FFL likes this.
  10. WC5P

WC5P Premium Subscriber QRZ Page