Best new inexpensive HF Transceiver Deal- Jan 2019

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by N8FVJ, Jan 24, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. N8FVJ

N8FVJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Cheapest means low cost with reasonable performance and a few extras such as spectrum display & built in antenna tuner. So, not absolute bare minimum. The less expensive IC-718 does not make for the best deal IMO.

2. K6BRN

K6BRN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

James:

I think our intent, if not our words, are pretty close. I'd call the above "best value".

From my perspective, the IC-7300 is in that category because it provides the built-in USB sound card and TCXO needed to operate newer digital modes, like FT8, well. And no extra expenses on accessories needed to do it, which can drive up cost in a hurry (as with the FTDX-1200 that needs a $300 external USB card adapter box).

Best Regards,

Brian - K6BRN

K4AGO and K7PJM like this.
  3. W5LZ

W5LZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Guess it depends on what you think an accessory is? A spectrum display fits in that category as far as I'm concerned. So does an auto-tuner and who knows what else.
    I think I would get whatever you can afford. If you can't use a particular option now... you probably will later. It's a lot easier to not use something than to not have something...

4. K6BRN

K6BRN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Paul (W5LZ):

The hottest mode today is FT8. Most older radios, many still on sale AND some newer ones require purchase of an external USB sound card adapter, or the operator is simply locked out of that mode. And they are not cheap, new or used.

For items like that, it's best to buy an integrated solution if it's within reach, or save for one. The IC-7300 is just such a solution. And it also happens to have a decent trimmer/tuner and spectrum display built in. For a very good price.

On the other hand, I have a great Kenwood TS-440SAT with all (and I mean ALL) the options: tuner, filters, tone board, voice synthesizer, external speaker, HD power supply, MC-60 mic, no dot problem (new clock battery, too), IC-10 chipset/IF-232C CAT interface, PK-232 TNC w/clock chip and 9600 baud modem plus wiring harness to TS-440S, rebuilt SB-200 amp with ALL the Harbach mods, NOS Cetron 572Bs and a spare set (well used), and Heath SB-610 monitor scope.

It would probably all sell for less than a new IC-7300. But in today's ham environment, it would DO less, as well.

Interesting dilemma - comes down to a personal choice.

Brian - K6BRN

K4AGO and AG5DB like this.
  5. N8FVJ

N8FVJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Yaesu FTDX-1200 has been discontinued. Gigaparts & DX Engineering is out of stock now at the low price. HRO has a few left, but price jumped to $979. ICOM IC-7300 at same price is a better deal.

K4AGO and K7PJM like this.
  6. K0UO

K0UO Subscriber QRZ Page

7300 is the "best over all buy," it is a good time to be a ham.