ad: arsupply

Best new inexpensive HF Transceiver Deal- Jan 2019

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by N8FVJ, Jan 24, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N8FVJ

N8FVJ Ham Member QRZ Page

The best deal I seen on an inexpensive good performing new transceiver is the Yaesu FTDX-1200 at MTC for $869. It has a better receiver and spectrum display vs the FT-450D for $150 more cost. Some will say the IC-7300 for $999 after mail in rebate is best, but can take 6 months to get the $100 rebate. $230 more cost at initial purchase vs the FTDX-1200.
    What do you think is the best deal on a new HF transceiver now?

2. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

If your requirement is only "an inexpensive good performing new transceiver", consider the Yaesu FT-891 at $599.

I don't know how good a performer it is, but on price alone, the Alinco DX-SR8T at $499 will give you 'pride of ownership' and the brand new 'petrochemical smell' some crave.;)

3. N8FVJ

Alinco no DNR, FT-891 is a mobile, but would work as a base radio.

4. KC3RN

KC3RN Ham Member QRZ Page

Check out the Icom IC-7100. Current street price is around $900 before the $100 M.I.R. It's a shack-in-a-box, but works very well. It's actually an excellent performed on CW. I had one a couple years ago, but, like an idiot, sold it. Contemplating buying another, mostly for digital. No external interface is required.

5. N8FVJ

ICOM IC-7100 is all mode HF/VHF/UHF for $799 after rebate from Gigiparts. Great deal with VHF/UHF included. Yaesu FT-857D is same price, but has tiny display. Yaesu FT-991A with larger screen and same band coverage is $1199 at Gigaparts. The FT-991A has a better receiver, but how much receiver do you need? Bands are not super crowded like in years past.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
  6. KG5THG

KG5THG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Really hard to beat a 7100 or 7300. If you don't need 144/440, the 7300 with its features should be on your finalist list.

KU3X likes this.
  7. K4PDM

K4PDM Ham Member QRZ Page

The spectrum scope on the 1200 mutes the receiver when it sweeps so is of limited use.
    But it is an awesome rig, no doubt, I had one.
    I also used an 891 in the house for a while, now mobile, and I love it.
    Now using an IC-7300 which I feel is the best bargain if you want a scope.