"Best" Multiband Wire for Flat Roof (51'x24')

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by WZ6K, Aug 3, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. KC3RN

KC3RN Ham Member QRZ Page

I personally like that antenna (it's currently my main HF wire), but it's not going to work well in your situation. The matching section needs to hang straight down, and unencumbered by other objects, in order to work well.

WZ6K likes this.
  2. AK5B

AK5B Ham Member QRZ Page

Excellent idea and one that could be made easier by putting a small wi-fi or TV antenna on the top to justify it's existence; your antenna could then serve as a couple of guy lines and go unnoticed that way. The other guys should be thin Dacron or other non-metallic ones so as not to interact.

73, Jeff

WZ6K and KC8VWM like this.
  3. WZ6K

WZ6K Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

agree, but if Indona mast in center, it's going to a hustler vertical ( with a a US flag of course cuz I'm patriotic :) )

AK5B likes this.
  4. WZ6K

WZ6K Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

At this point, I'm starting to lean that way....sigh, a couple of well cut radials for each band, and maybe, just maybe, I won't have to go back one the roof. I think I'm going to go with the 80m radiator just in case. As midge more work/cost up front. Going to get a 5' tripod and a radial plate and the pl259 connector kit, which of course adds 50% to the cost of the vertical, but my "nice neighbors " seem to be ok with a single, low visibility vertical, can I actually put a flag on it with plastic clip ones? :)

5. AK5B

AK5B Ham Member QRZ Page

The Hustler vertical should work FB but if you can mount the base at or near the top of that 5' tripod it will play significantly better. Believe me, elevated verticals rock! One advantage of particular interest is that a few radials anywhere from 0.15 to 0.40 wave length for the particular band of operation will work as well as 60 ground-mounted radials (and anyone who doubts this fact can read N6LF's exhaustive tests in his reports made about twenty years ago). 0.15 wavelength for 80 meters is around 25-26 feet so you actually will just squeak by on 80M with your size roof!

Yes, you can use plastic or stainless clips to attach your flag (seldom seen out there in SF:eek:) at the top. If you use plastic cover them with electrical tape as UV will destroy plastic over time.

Have fun and I hope you reap plenty of DX out in the Outer Sunset.

73, Jeff

WZ6K likes this.