Best multi-band, no-radials vertical?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by AD8DT, Dec 26, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
  1. WA9JOQ

WA9JOQ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Fake news. ;)

2. N8FLK

N8FLK Ham Member QRZ Page

What kind of vertical are you using? Is it just off the ground with a lot of radials, or up on a tower? If on a tower, have you managed to put up any radials?

3. WF4W

WF4W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I use a Hustler 6BTV ground mounted with a relatively extensive radial field...

NL7W and KA4DPO like this.
  4. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I have never had a no radial vertical. With the exception of the Gap vertical I suspect the no radial antennas are very inefficient.
    I had a 4BTV in the 80's. That was one of the best verticals I ever had, right up there with my butternut vertical. Both of them worked well because I had about 40 radials in the ground around them.

NL7W likes this.
  5. WF4W

WF4W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I couldnt be happier with my 6btv. While a tribander 70ft in the air would work better, it's just not my thing and as long as I continue to work the DX I want with my vertical I won't be looking for any other antenna

KA4DPO likes this.
  6. NL7W

NL7W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

In Alaska, I had a 4-BTV with 35-ish radials under it (I stopped counting). It worked!
    But then, I had a tri-bander and 141-foot open wire-fed dipole as well. Each had their place...

KA4DPO likes this.
  7. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The only vertical antenna that will perform well without radials ain't a traditional quarter wave vertical, but a vertical dipole. If you want to use a vertical for anything but a dummy load, you gotta have radials.

KA4DPO likes this.
  8. W4NNF

I loved my 6BTV from the beginning. But I loved it a lot more when I upped my radials from 16 to 32. :)

NL7W, KA4DPO and KA2CZU like this.
  9. W4NNF

Zombie thread got me again <sigh>… :)

[​IMG]

KA2CZU likes this.
  10. KA2CZU

KA2CZU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

zombie or not... I just picked up a 6BTV and hope to have it installed soon. Radials will be a challenge, but I'll add as I go.

NL7W and KA4DPO like this.