Best multi-band, no-radials vertical?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by AD8DT, Dec 26, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. AD8DT

AD8DT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm looking at verticals for 80 thru 10 (6 would be a plus). A ground radial system is not an option at my QTH. Planning on mounting on a 30-40 foot telescoping tower. I'm reading reviews, including horror stories about missing and/or damaged parts received and terrible assembly instructions.
    Anyone have any positive suggestions?

N8FLK likes this.
  2. KK5JY

KK5JY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Then your only efficient option is to run a vertical dipole, and match it at the feed point with some kind of remote tuner or equivalent. Any vertical wire antenna has to have a counterpoise. When you see people trying to sell you a no-radial multi-band resonant vertical antenna, walk away...

If you are putting up a tower, you could make a truly "wire" vertical dipole that slopes gently away from the tower, and is anchored at the top. I wouldn't try to load a telescoping tower, since the bonding between sections won't be reliable, but you could certainly use it as a support for a wire dipole. An inverted V antenna, hung from the top of a tower, is also a very reasonable antenna, and if combined with a remote tuner, it can be made very efficient over many bands.

An alternative to a vertical wire antenna is the small transmitting loop (STL). It's going to be tough to effectively cover 80m through 10m with a single STL, but a pair of them could be made to work quite well, with one sized for the higher bands, and one sized for 80m and 40m. Don't buy an STL -- build it for yourself if you want it to have any efficiency. A vertically-oriented STL is also a vertically-polarized antenna, but it will occupy much less space (especially height-wise) than the vertical dipole.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2017
    N4UP, AA5CT, KA4DPO and 1 other person like this.
  3. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, get on a unicorn and ride into Never Never Land to Humpty Dumpty's house and there will be one there. The "no radial" vertical is mostly a fairy tale. People will argue and try to get you to buy unicorn poop antennas. There are solutions for small yards to get radials in. Some 1/2 wave antennas can work without radials but 1/2 wave on 40 meters is 65 feet, 125 feet on 80M. They make sloper antennas that work on multiple bands using a 9:1 balun and 56 feet of wire,

MFJ makes a ground plate that you can mount a vertical on and get away with a few short radials. Good luck Sir Knight on our quest for the Holy Grail of antennas, the great performing no radial vertical.

WF4W and K3EY like this.
  4. W4IOA

W4IOA Ham Member QRZ Page

A Gap Titan if you go without radials. I also suggest a minimum 600w amp if you're interested in ssb contacts on 40m and 75m

N3SGW and KA4DPO like this.
  5. W4IOA

I was expecting you to bring your A game, C+ on this effort. Not feeling well?

N8FLK, KK4YWN, NK2U and 2 others like this.
  6. W4IOA

Less than $40 you can get 500ft of 14g wire at Lowes or HD. $10 of lawn staples and you're ready to go.

7. AG4RT

AG4RT Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Probably not, based on recent posts he’s made on his health.

8. KK5JY

KK5JY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

NK2U, KA4DPO and VK4HAT like this.
  9. VK4HAT

VK4HAT Ham Member QRZ Page

GAP Titan and GAP Challenger have good reviews on Eham, not cheap but they do work.

KA4DPO likes this.
  10. W4IOA

Yep. I mounted one on my 10x12 shed roof. It worked alright, I would often switch from my yagi to it to see the difference, yagi always won. But it did a fair job on WARC bands and with a small amp 40m and 75m I could be heard.