Best Motorola mobile radio for ham use (2-meters)?

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by W6SSP, Apr 26, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. W3DL

W3DL Ham Member QRZ Page

If ham radio cannot be used by a race team to coordinate their efforts, then ham radio cannot be used by the race sponsors to coordinate the race event.

I guess our club has been violating the law for years then.

2. K9PHT

K9PHT Ham Member QRZ Page

I am assuming that everyone using the amateur radios have a FCC amateur radio license and following the amateur radio established rules of communication... If this is a commercial enterprise than I would say it would be illegal to use amateur radio equipment on amateur radio frequencies in support of this commercial enterprise.

If you are just using amateur radio type approved equipment on commercial radio assigned frequencies then you may in violation of type approved radio equipment issues.

Just my thoughts
    Roy Ken
    k9pht - King George VA

3. K6MFW

K6MFW Ham Member QRZ Page

Which race? Couple months ago I spoke with someone who races a BMW, his team bought the car for $500, used stock engine, modified inside for racing seat, racing dash, and ripped out all the carpet and upolshtry. He said it is loud and very hot (requires a water cooled seat). Other than that, sounds like they ask for hams to volunteer their skills for communicating logistics like many other races.

This can be an endurance for the hams as well. I can see why go commercial radio as you need very good receive audio (the race track can be very noisy). I think another commercial radio i.e. Icom or Kenwood is preferable since getting the software is so much easier. Motorola software for older radios is very difficult to get (no longer sold, has to be bootlegged as original owner had to sign many documents preventing transfer or sale of the software). There are radio shops that still hold on to their old computers with the software. Don't know exactly how to find them, people I've encountered seem to be reticent on acknowledging they have the software.