Best Motorola mobile radio for ham use (2-meters)?

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by W6SSP, Apr 26, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. K0BG

K0BG Ham Member QRZ Page

I try my best not to get too vindictive, but I feel it is necessary to do so this one time.

I categorically, wouldn't even THINK of doing what you're contemplating! It begs the question, could you get away with doing so? Maybe. Perhaps. But why even try? It is, by any means, on the verge of illegality. Yes, it is perhaps a hobby, and it isn't commercial say like a NASCAR event. However, it isn't private, and it isn't in support of a charity! It is public, people pay to see the events, and therein lies the issue.

I am not a lawyer, or judge, or a member of the FCC enforcement staff. But if I were, I would view this is a violation!

You suit yourself, but I wouldn't touch it with a 50 foot pole!

2. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

It comes down to the " pecuniary interest" of the operator, does it not? If they are paying an entrance fee to race, and not making any money (if there are cash awards for winning, that could make it an issue) then I don't see what the issue is. Just because someone else is making money - how can that matter or could you even control that? If I am driving my car on a toll road, can I talk on my mobile? If I am videoed using my ham radio, and someone else uploaded it to YouTube and makes money, have I broken the law? How about a runner in a marathon that's televised? The TV station is making money, so none of the runners or support staff can use AR?

Steve
    KV6O

3. W6SSP

W6SSP Ham Member QRZ Page

Alan,
    I'm not quite sure how to respond to this. My first thought is 'are you serious?!'.
    Hams have been involved in races of all kinds for decades. I have personally been a
    volunteer, providing communications for sail boat and hydroplane races in Florida.
    These were big, national events.
    Not to mention all sorts of marathons. These all have prizes of some sort.
    And DXpeditions that are often sponsored by radio manufacturers that
    get free advertising.

Oh, and BTW, the Lemons races do indeed support charities. And all teams
    are encouraged to donate extra $'s to these beyond that.

Before you offer an opinion like you did I'd suggest giving it some more thought.
    Steve

4. NC5P

NC5P Ham Member QRZ Page

If you are set on Motorola the XPR series are not too expensive (dealers have special pricing for hams) and the CPS is $265 (I just bought it). They are digital (DMR) and FM but if you want wide (most ham operations) deviation you have to order the 20/25 kHz entitlement license which is free. The radios are available in VHF, UHF, and 800/900 MHz. For what it's worth DMR repeaters are mostly on UHF, with VHF generally in areas where the coastal radar precludes 70cm operation. Of course you don't need a repeater for this activity.

5. K0BG

K0BG Ham Member QRZ Page

Steve, while I agree with most of what you say, I did visit their web site. It isn't much different than spec Miata racing, or any other racing sport under SCCA (whether they're sanctioned or not). I suspect some folks do use amateur radio for in-car communications, but the vast majority use specific coordinated VHF/UHF frequencies. In so doing, you remove any chance of violating the rules governing the amateur service.

6. KK4YDR

KK4YDR Ham Member QRZ Page

Just do whatever you want. Laws are only made for the lawless. Though I am never suggesting you have disregard for the law people pretty much end up doing what they are driven to do.

A law will not matter anyways. Just do what you want to do. If you get caught you pay and the consequences may be uncomfortable.

Good luck in your endeavors. If you are going to make a choice, albeit a good or bad choice, at least be informed going into it.

7. W0GSQ

W0GSQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Perhaps he should use the MURS frequency allocation.

8. KK4YDR

KK4YDR Ham Member QRZ Page

My wife and I use it with some el cheapo commercial murs certified HTs.

9. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

zomg 24 Hours of Lemons is freaking hilarious!!! thanks for the best wasted three hours of my life!

10. AA9G

AA9G Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

No idea why you would choose to use ham bands for this. Use something else. FMRS. MURS.