Best Motorola mobile radio for ham use (2-meters)?

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by W6SSP, Apr 26, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. W6SSP

W6SSP Ham Member QRZ Page

Here's the situation; I'm part of a racing team and have convinced other members to
    get their ham radio licenses which they just did. Now I'm looking for some basic,
    rugged and hopefully inexpensive 2 meter radios. We won't need any special features
    like PL or even duplex as we'll be using simplex frequencies (not 146.52). Won't need
    more than 10-15 watts. Inexpensive, readily available and programmable here are
    all plusses.

One option seems to be used, programmable business radios that can be
    moved to the ham bands. I've heard of people using Motorola radios for this.
    Can anyone point me in the right direction? My last experience with business band
    radios goes back to Motracs, GE Proglines and such so I'm waaaaaay out of date
    where radios like this are concerned. Thanks!
    Steve W6SSP
    ps-I'd rather stay away from rigs designed for ham use....we don't want to have to
    screw around with setting frequencies in the middle of a race

2. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

There are lots of Maxtrac's out there now, rugged and cheap (most are under $50 on eBay). The problem you're going to have with any Motorola commercial radio is programming - the software is not free or generally available. IF you can find a local radio shop that can program them for you, they might be a good way to go.

http://www.repeater-builder.com/motorola/maxtrac/maxtrac-index.html

Steve
    KV6O

3. K0BG

K0BG Ham Member QRZ Page

Why would you want to use amateur radio? I would suspect some of the traffic would be close to the FCC allowance as it were. And, there are specific VHF frequencies set aside for racing teams. While you do need a commercial license, you don't have to go through any frequency coordination.

4. KD0CAC

KD0CAC Ham Member QRZ Page

Also if there is any transmissions that are part of a commercial / making - not the legal term [ you should look those up ] .
    You can not use the ham bands for what it sounds like your doing ?

5. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

The post makes no indication of professional or amateur racing. To the OP, you might want to clear that up. If this is a professional team, using AR is a no-no.

Good luck!

Steve
    KV6O

6. W6SSP

This is amateur racing, not professional. Take a look at this site for more info;

www.24hoursoflemons.com for more info. Advertising or sponsors are forbidden.
    Well within the non-commercial rules of ham radio. Hopefully this satisfies any concerns.

Steve W6SSP

7. KD0CAC

NO - NO , don't do that - show me another hobby to play with ;)

8. W6SSP

This is *fun* racing. Its a parody of LeMons (professional) racing. The basic
    premise is to take a junker that cost no more than $500 and turn it into
    a race car with ALL of the safety equipment and procedures professional
    races use. The best way I know to describe it is as a cross between NASCAR
    and Renassance Fairs. While it is real, serious racing, I've never laughed so
    hard at anything else in my life. The creativity and engineering/mechanical
    skills of many of these teams is astounding.

And to answer a previous question, I suggested ham radio to the group
    because (1) these guys are likely to become very involved in the hobby
    outside of racing and (2) ham radio allowed for a wide range of things like
    telemetry and cockpit video that would be difficult to do with a commercial
    license. The last one will involve a lot of design and experimentation. A hallmark
    of the *spirit* of ham radio.
    Steve W6SSP

9. AA7QQ

AA7QQ Ham Member QRZ Page

$40 Baofung radios from Ebay will do well for you. They also have mobile radios that come cheaper than finding Motorolas & having them reprogrammed.

Ed

10. KD0CAC

I have seen some of that , again is could be dangerous to get close to .
    Well actually one of my past hobbies was racing , I worked a shop back in the 80s when they were still building Big Foot trucks from original frames & other original parts .
    Now everything is custom .
    I was about 18 miles for Sears Point with other types of racing .
    Most that was spending other peoples money and I had to build lesser stuff for my self .
    I've been into a number of hobbies , and sure seems to be a law of nature or something , there are no cheap hobbies ;(