ad: cq2k-1

Best logging program to use with LoTW?

Discussion in 'Logbooks & Logging Programs' started by AA2HM, Jun 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
  1. AA6YQ

AA6YQ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Automated LoTW uploading has indeed been "table stakes" for many years. What's more useful than "just uploading" is full synchronization -- the ability to automatically update each of one's logged QSOs with information from LoTW to indicate that
    • the QSO has been accepted by LoTW
    • the QSO's DXCC entity has been confirmed for DXCC
    • the QSO's US State has been confirmed for Mixed WAS
    • the QSO's US State has been confirmed for a WAS mode endorsement, which requires an exact mode match, not just a mode group match
    • the QSO's gridsquares -- up to 4 can be specified -- are confirmed for VUCC
    Your QSO partner may fail to include his or her US State or gridsquare in the "Station Location" used to upload your QSO to LoTW, preventing the LoTW confirmation from counting towards your WAS or VUCC objectives. Having a logging application that highlights such absences enables you to contact your QSO partner and request that your QSO be re-uploaded with required information.

There are many ways in which station automation software can facilitate DXing:

Displaying raw DX spots from a single spot source (telnet DX cluster, web DX cluster, telnet DX cluster, reverse beacon network) is certainly useful, but puts the burden on the user to extract information from multiple spots of the same DX station, many of which are redundant. A spot originated by a DX cluster near a needed DX station can arrive a minute or two before spots relayed via the worldwide spotting network. Thus the ability to simultaneously obtain DX spots from multiple clusters can confer a critical advantage: the ability to QSY before the cluster hordes arrive and make a QSO far more difficult. Given the redundancy, a raw DX spot display fed by multiple DX clusters would be overwhelming to use. The solution is to use the information from multiple DX spot sources to populate a local database that tracks each active DX station, providing the DXer with the far more actionable set of views listed above. Not only can a double-click intiate QSYing to a split DX station's TX and last-reported RX frequencies while rotating one's antenna to the correct short-path heading, one can also
    And we're only just scratching the surface of what could -- and will -- be done to provide Better DXing through Software.

Dave, AA6YQ

2. WA9PIE

WA9PIE QRZ Lifetime Member #305 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

You do not have to pay every year. Buy it... get free upgrades/releases with support for one year... and you can use it forever. If - after a year - you find that there's a new feature that you can't live without, you can renew the maintenance and you're back in for upgrades/releases and support for another year. But by all means... use it forever if you like what you've got.

Mike, WA9PIE

3. WA9PIE

WA9PIE QRZ Lifetime Member #305 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Ham Radio Deluxe (HRD) gets you going with LoTW with a single click. It builds the file, uploads it for you, and marks the QSO records as Sent via LoTW. The same is true for downloads.

The latest version of HRD (6.x) covers over 215 awards and 118 endorsements in 16 of the most popular award programs. We have several other awards programs soon to be added... and... HRD includes the ability for you to build custom awards that you can share with your club or others. If you're into awards - particularly those tracked on LoTW - HRD takes a lot of the work out of awards tracking for you.

Taking DXCC as an example, you want to know (for Mixed, Mode, Band, and Challenge):
    - How many countries have you Worked?
    - How many countries have you Confirmed?
    - Which QSOs do you need to confirm (Need QSL)? (And if there's more than 1 potential, which one is most likely?)
    - Which countries do I need to Work?
    - Which QSLs do I have that have not yet been submitted for the award? (Help me build my application.)
    - Which QSLs are "in-flight" (Submitted)? (Are part of a pending application?)
    - Which QSLs have been Granted credit in the awards program?

HRD's new awards tracking interface gives you the ability to quickly answer those questions by double-clicking from the totals into the areas of interest. For example, I "Need QSL" for 12 CW QSOs towards the CW award in the DXCC Program. I want to know (a) what countries those are and (b) what QSOs those are so I can go chase down the QSLs.

Very easy. I view the totals:

01-Totals-DXCC.JPG

I double-click the 12 and it will show me a list of the countries that I have worked, but need to confirm, on CW.

02-Needed-Entities-DXCC.JPG

Then I click on "View All", and I can see that there are 15 QSOs among those 12 countries.

02-Needed-List-DXCC.JPG

At this point, I could assume that it's more likely that I'll confirm JW7QIA (worked in 2012) than JW0LGS (worked in 1999). So I'll save the money and effort going after the oldest one and chase the more recent one.

The same is true for other awards within the other programs tracked in HRD. You should spend more time chasing "new ones" and less time trying to dig information out of your logbook or managing multi-step processes for upload/download with LoTW.

You can find demonstrations of much of this on the HRD YouTube channel at http://www.youtube.com/hrdsoftware

Mike, WA9PIE

4. G4POP

G4POP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Well I might as well add a plug for our software to the list :D

Log4OM also has automatic upload and download to LOTW and includes full award analysis and submission systems.

However Log4OM is completely free and available for download at .....

http://www.pisto.it/wordpress/log4om-en/

BTW did I mention the sophisticated alerts system included in Log4OM and that is is extremely simple to use and set up?

73 Terry G4POP - Log4OM Development Team

5. WA8UEG

WA8UEG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I still have not found a feature that HRD offers that Logger32 does not have and it is free.

6. N0IU

N0IU Ham Member QRZ Page

Logging is just one part of HRD. I use HRD as my primary station log, but the digital mode module (DM780) is one of the best around... IMHO.

7. KD5UVV

KD5UVV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Well I've just recently started using N3FJP's Amateur Contact Log and it seems to work just fine. Once LoTW and eQSL is setup it's pretty much a click and upload situation. I like the program a lot.

de Dale KD5UVV

8. K8WDX

K8WDX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Enough said! Congratulations Dave on an outstanding set of programs, second to none....

9. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

Jumping in on on old thread here, but I wanted to thank Dave, AA6YQ for his excellent software. I used HRD 5.x for several years and was pleased with it's LoTW uploading capability, but about 2-3 months ago the functionality stopped working and I spent a fair amount of time trying to figure out why. Given that HRD 6 is the current release, I took a look at it but was not too thrilled at the $100 price, but even more discouraged at the 50% maintenance fee. I have sold software in the IT industry almost my entire career, and usual maintenance contracts run 15-17%, some companies are trying to push that up to 20%+ with limited success. 50%?!? No thanks.

Sure, you don't have to pay it, but then you don't get updates after the first year. Software needs to me maintained to keep current, so I kept looking.

I cam across DXLab and installed it. It took me some time to get used to it as it's a bit different than HRD, but after a month or so I am thrilled - especially with the LoTW integration. It's WAY more comprehensive than HRD and I have my database more or less synchronized with LoTW - not just uploaded. Perhaps this is possible in HRD to the extent it is in DXKeeper - I don't know.

HRD is certainly prettier, DX Lab is more utilitarian. Lately, I have been using WJST-x with JTAlert-X and DXKeeper for logging and LoTW synchronization. There is so much to learn - I need to sit down with the manual and learn how to best use all the other modules!

So, big +1 for the DX Lab suite - great SW with terrific LoTW integration. HRD had a learning curve, and this is no different - but the end result is worth it.

Steve
    KV6O

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.