Best Logging program for Amateur radio

Discussion in 'Logbooks & Logging Programs' started by W5INC, Nov 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KY5U

KY5U Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I use the program written by the Mexican Manuel Registro.

2. N0AZZ

N0AZZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Well you said the best so I will tell you I tried 29 different programs free and demos of paid ones all left something lacking except for one.

That program has been around for many years and several revisions but never a free program, to much work and support into it. The only logging program that gives you free phone & email support 6 days a week and sometimes 7 with the programmer if there is a problem. He will also log on to your computer and fix whatever might need to be done as far as customizing or a general fix. It can be down loaded for a 30 day demo full version to try it out. You can use it as it comes or change everything in it just for your needs it has more logging details than any other programs period.

The program is Logic8 hosenose.com check it out you won't be disappointed.

3. N5PVL

N5PVL Ham Member QRZ Page

I am more of a ragchewer than anything else. Contests do not excite me, and DX is the icing to me, not the cake.

What I need is a regular log with no extras, and I have seriously considered paper logs.

One problem I see with digital logging is that digital standards are always in flux. - But you can always pick up a paper log, thirty years after it was written and start reading it right away. - No problem.

4. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

Have you tried contacting the software writer and explained the situation? If you're a registered user of the product, they might be willing to provide you with a new setup disc for minimal (if any) cost.

Beyond that... sorry, except for some specialized software I use for contest logging, I write my own routines in, and keep my logs and related files, in Visual dBase. While that works for me, if you're not a programmer, it wouldn't be something I'd recommend for you.

5. WA4OTD

WA4OTD Ham Member QRZ Page

I like paper also and I print a copy of my log from HRD ever 6 months or so as a hard copy and back up the ADIF file often. I think the ADIF standard creates some stability for your logging programs. I also like being able to sort for certain criteria easily which HRD does very well (DX, 5BDXCC, etc).

6. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

FREE is GOOD!

7. W5INC

W5INC Ham Member QRZ Page

TNx to all of the members who answered my question. I appreciate the help and all of the answers given. I will be checking out the programs that were mentioned in all posts. I always start off with a paper log and then transfer all of the data to a computer program. I always keep the paper copies just in case. I have been there looking at my computer before, with a stupid look on my face, looking for all of the lost information when my HD crashed. So I now keep everything backed up on 2 external HDs and keep the paper copies. Better to be safe then sorry. Once agn TNX to the QRZ gang for all of their knowlegde in this matter. :)

8. N4ST

N4ST XML Subscriber QRZ Page

One more vote for HRD, although it might be best to see what the new owners are going to do with it.

9. AA6YQ

AA6YQ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

DXLab is a free-ware suite of 8 applications that can operate independently, but detect each other's presence and interoperate automatically. Besides the usual logging, transceiver control, DX spot collection and digital mode features you'll find in most applications, DXLab

- controls up to 4 transceivers, with optional transceiver selection by frequency

- supports transverters for 6m, 4m, 2m, and 70cm operation

- can direct a secondary transceiver or receiver to follow the primary transceiver's frequency and mode

- interoperates with SDR Consoles used as panadaptors (e.g. SpectraVue) or skimmers (e.g. CW Skimmer)

- provides 10 banks of 10 memories, with the ability to continuously scan a bank's frequencies

- displays frequency-dependent settings for devices like tuners, amplifiers, and antenna switches, with optional control via parallel port signals

- provides user-defined transceiver control sequences initiated by up to 16 buttons and up to 8 sliders; see url=http://www.dxlabsuite.com/commander/screenshot1.jpg

- provides both map-driven and callsign-driven operation of all commercial PC-controllable rotators

- exploits databases that know which callsigns have uploaded QSOs to LotW and how recently, which callsigns are Authenticity Guaranteed eQSL.cc participants, and the locations of all stations whose licenses are issued by the US FCC

- extracts address information from all 3 CDROM callbooks and QRZ.com (free with advertising, or no advertising with subscription)

- provides one-click access to more than 80 web-accessible sources of QSL information

- directly prints QSL labels and 4-to-a-page QSL cards

- directly prints addresses on envelopes or labels

- synchronizes with LotW and eQSL.cc, initiating upload and download operations with a single mouse click without requiring the user to manually invoke TQSL or deal with ADIF files

- tracks confirmation and verification of QSOs for DXCC, TopList, and WAZ awards, highlighting needed DX spots, automatically generating outgoing QSLs that request confirmation of needed QSLs, identifying confirmed QSOs for submission to the ARRL DXCC desk, and generating DXCC submission paperwork

- downloads granted DXCC Credits, highlights discrepancies with logged QSOs, and automatically updates logged QSOs to reflect newly granted DXCC Credits

- reports progress towards DXCC, TopList, Challenge, VUCC, Marathon, WAS, WAC, IOTA, WAZ, WPX, USA-CA, Canadaward, Holyland, DOK, WAE, WAB, DDFM, SRR, RDA, WAHUC, WAIP, WAJA, JCC, JCG, and AJA awards

- automatically uploads logged QSOs to ClubLog

- provides operations that can alter many logged QSOs simultaneously without requiring the user to modify ADIF files -- e.g. performing callbook lookups on already-logged QSOs, or adjusting the start times of QSOs logged during a specific time range, or extracting QTH information from COMMENT fields, or...

- captures DX spots from up to 6 sources (telnet clusters, packetclusters, DX Summit), creating and maintaining a local database with one entry for each active DX station that is color coded by "need" and LotW participation, and whose entries can be independently filtered and displayed in a table, on its world map, and on a zoomable bandspread

- optionally announces needed DX spots, and includes a web server that makes all spots browser-accessible from anywhere on your home network

- extracts QSX frequencies from DX spot notes, enabling accurate transceiver setup for split frequency operation with one user action

- captures solar and geomagnetic data from WWV spots and uses this data to display easy-to-understand QST-style graphical propagation forecasts, and to depict the auroral oval on its world map (choice of VOACAP, ICEPAC, or IONCAP propagation forecasting engines, all of which are included)

- monitors user-specified NCDXF/IARU HF beacon schedules to rapidly calibrate propagation forecasts with actual propagation

- decodes all PSK31 or PSK63 or PSK125 QSOs within your transceiver's bandpass and extract callsigns to create and maintain a "stations heard" window

- simultaneously runs soundcard RTTY (using the MMTTY engine) and an optional external modem (e.g. a KAM or PK232) to provide diversity decoding or the ability to simultaneously decode a DX station and callers

- supports PSK, RTTY, CW (generation only), and Phone (voice keying) with a single user interface and macro facility

- interoperates with MultiPSK, MMSSTV, MMVARI, MMTTY, MixW, Fldigi, DM780, JT65 Alert, HRD, DX Atlas, and CW Skimmer

- is updated with user-suggested features frequently, and downloads/installs upgrades with a single mouse click

- is driven by an active and friendly user community open to everyone

User-reported defects are generally corrected within 24 hours. At this moment, the number of reported but uncorrected defects across all members of the DXLab Suite is 1 (reported this morning).

Check out the reviews here

10. K7MH

K7MH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

As you can see, everyone has a different idea of what the "best" logging program is and why.
    Much like code keys and some other ham radio gear.
    Chances are that most any of them will do most or all of what you want and more. Some will do
    some rather unnecessary things as well.
    Most all of them will have good support with online forums and such.
    Some are probably reaching the end of their era and are not evolving.
    Some are expensive like LOGic at $129 plus any future upgrade costs.
    Some are freeware and get updated/improved regularly like Logger32 for instance.
    Here is a pretty good list of what is out there;
    http://www.eham.net/reviews/products/27
    The ones I seem to hear the most about are Ham Radio Deluxe, DXLab, and Logger32.
    Time for you to do your homework!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.