Best linux distro for hamming?

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by K5TSK, Nov 2, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-2
  1. K5TSK

K5TSK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I've been playing with this and that for a year now. Debian, Mint, Manjaro, but I'm still looking for something simple, reliable, secure. Mainly do SKCC and have yet to get the windows logging to work without wine. Not installing wine ever again and that is just a personal choice, no disrespect meant or intended.
    Not looking for a range war here, just a few good thoughts.
    Thanks. 73

2. KD4MOJ

KD4MOJ Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

3. K5TSK

Thanks Doug. I actually have a Ubuntu 16.04 live DVD and for some unknown reason, I've never given it a serious try. Notice Ubuntu is 18.04 or more now. Since your suggestion is based on Ubuntu and the web page says most of the programs are in their repository, I may give those folks a look. Will at least look at the disc I have and see what's there. Thanks for your time.

4. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

I use Ubuntu 16.04.... and it runs fdigi, flrig, and a few others just fine. However, I must admit that Win7 seems to be the best for radio (even though I'm not too fond of Microsoft).

5. K5TSK

Ok, I've got 16.04 installed and getting email and basics set up. Next, maybe tomorrow, hook up the Yaesu and see what works. Not sure about the package manager on this. Back to square one.

6. KD2NOM

KD2NOM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm working with Ubuntu 18.04 at work - be advised, it handles networking entirely differently so if you go that route, have Google ready :)

7. KX4OM

KX4OM Ham Member QRZ Page

Distros based on Debian 9.5 Stretch or later handle networking differently from earlier versions. It's worth doing some reading on that. Ubuntu, Linux Mint, Raspbian Stretch, MX-17 and many others use Debian as a base, directly or indirectly. I have set up two Raspberry Pi machines, one as a Samba server and the other as a client , and also a MX-17 install on one of my laptops over the past week. The folders and config files for the setup are changed from before.

Ted, KX4OM

Last edited: Nov 3, 2018
  8. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

I like Linux Mint, but the current version (19) has some problems. Version 19.1 will be out soon. Give it a try.

9. KT1F

KT1F Ham Member QRZ Page

I started using Ubuntu years ago and haven't changed. I don't think I had a good reason to choose it other than its popularity.

I'm now using 18.04 LTS desktop and server. It's nice to have a desktop and a server running basically the same O/S.

I'm not running much ham software but FLDigi works nicely on desktop. I think 18.04 was the first version where the sound, including my SignalLink USB "just worked" with very little messing about. Don't forget to put your user in the dialout group.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2018
  10. K5TSK

I started with Mint 18.1 Cinnamon and actually had fldigi, wsjtx, cqrlog working after a bit of tinkering, but it seemed as upgrades progressed, things got flakier and flakier. Started looking around.
    I've done Stretch 9.5 and love the ability to apt-get, etc. But things sure seem 'old' there. Played with Manjaro and love it, XFCE and Cinnamon, but it seemed to have serial problems .
    Know for a fact it's mainly 'op error' that eventually messes things up. I would be a happy man and quit fiddling with things, if some kind hearted person would write a native linux logger that emulated what AC2C
    has done with his SKCCLogger. I don't need much, but I sure do need that little bit. Too old and foggy headed to learn coding now, but I did actually buy a book or two. Thanks guys for your time.