ad: ProAudio-1

Best HF Multiband Vertical Antenna?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VK7HH, Jul 5, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. AB0R

AB0R XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, I can't speak to the wind comment as that would affect any wire antenna about the same I'd imagine.

But I did indeed scan the antenna with my rig-xpert and can report good results, pretty much as expected across the board:

40 meters:
    [​IMG]

10 meters:
    [​IMG]

12 meters:
    [​IMG]

My general observation is that either his estimated lengths are a little short, or I messed up. In either case, I would go a bit longer with the elements and work back.

But as you can see, it's pretty darn good as is.

One last picture for fun, signal reports were that I had some noise on my signal but I was able to work all my local repeaters with out issue:

2 meters:
    [​IMG]

M1WML likes this.
  2. MW1CFN

MW1CFN Ham Member QRZ Page

Sadly, I can't see any images.

M1WML likes this.
  3. AB0R

Yeah, weird.

40 meters:
    [​IMG]

10 meters:
    [​IMG]

12 meters:
    [​IMG]

2 meters:
    [​IMG]

M1WML likes this.
  4. AB0R

How about now?

M1WML and MW1CFN like this.
  5. EI3IBB

EI3IBB Ham Member QRZ Page

I've got some great dx with a chameleon MPAS 2.0, CAP HAT and just single radial, even got to Australia. broke some pile ups with just 100 watts, first time i got it last may I was blown away when i got a contact in Brazil.

I got some good Dx too with my efhw 8010 from myantennas.com but the thing about the mpas 2.0 is it's really quiet on receive, it's worked so well I decided to leave it up all year round and take it down only for portable use. Obviously the nvis tx/Rx on the efhw is a lot stronger but the mpas really pulls in the dx quieter.

Been thinking what I could do with a 6 btv or Butternut if the mpas works so good or maybe I'm lucky with my location. but tha mpas is impressive even made contacts to north america on 40m.

M1WML and W5MIL like this.
  6. MW1CFN

MW1CFN Ham Member QRZ Page

Great! Pretty good. But I'm a grumpy purist and skinflint, so will stick with my pouch of monoband wires. :rolleyes:

M1WML and AB0R like this.
  7. ON2WI

ON2WI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

DX-Commander Classic 8 band vertical (40m,30m,20m,17m,15m,12m,10m,6m).

No tuning, SWR < 1:1.5 on all bands (6m 50-50,5 Mhz)

All radials buried 10cm.

30 radials 4m
    4 radials 10m
    4 radials 20m

Mine is up for 14 months now, works great for me.

KC9WUV, M1WML and AA5BK like this.
  8. VK2WDX

VK2WDX Ham Member QRZ Page

Totally agree with you Tom DE NN2X. I've had mine up for a couple of months it is guyed and sitting on a flat roof. Had to guy to the second mount but have had no problems and great performance especially on 40M. Wouldn't hesitate to recommend this antenna.

73's
    Mark
    VK2WDX

NN2X and M1WML like this.
  9. KC7JNJ

KC7JNJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I have heard the GAP Challenger do amazing things. Bust big pileups with 100 watts.

M1WML likes this.
  10. PA1ZT

PA1ZT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't know if it's the best vertical multiband ever, but it is a fact that you can't get a better vertical than a 1/4 wave resonant one. Physical length equalling electrical length will always be better. If you opt for linear loading to work lower bands, then I suppose a true 1/4 vertical will work better - but hey...

M1WML likes this.
  11. WA5VGO

WA5VGO Ham Member QRZ Page

The best antenna is the one you build yourself.

K0UO and M1WML like this.
  12. N6TCO

N6TCO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

MFJ 2990

I am always asked about my Vertical antenna set up so here it is from bottom up:

An 8' steel "I" beam sank into the ground with 14" base plate welded for the ALM 31 mast mount.

Base plate is grounded to two 8' copper ground rods and to the steel frame of my mobile home (72' long) which has two 8' ground rods at each end of the home.

Twenty foot solid copper wire to an existing radial system for a deceased vertical

ALM 31' crank up mast to base plate, ground strap from the the top of the 1st section to the metal roof of my home.

Ten foot mast with 3 Stainless steel guy wires @ 36', 45' to 60' long secured and each attached to 8' ground rods.

Two 75 meter rotatable dipoles grounded out to mast/antenna base as additional radials, each 14' long.

Finally the MFJ 2990 43' vertical antenna. I replaced the balun that came with it since it used two hose clamps with a 2kw balun that is bolted not clamped to the mast. It has been up during 50mph winds and is still there.

Recently worked: de WA STATE
    upload_2021-7-31_6-49-3.png

13. KB4MNG

KB4MNG Ham Member QRZ Page

This is exactly why I did not go with this antenna and went with the 43 footer.

14. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The best one is one "That is on the Air"