Best HF CW Transceiver for the buck?

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by AE7F, Feb 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: l-BCInc
  1. AB9LZ

AB9LZ Ham Member QRZ Page

THe K2 doesn't have IF shift or "slope tune", where you can move the shoulders of the filters around in respect to the incoming signal. Not having that stuff is kind of a pain when contesting or working DX pileups (I have a K2). If you do get a k2, the analog audio filter is the cats meow, in many respects, much smoother and easier to listen to than the DSP option.

73 m/4

2. AE7F

AE7F Ham Member QRZ Page

With my TS-430s, I worked a QRP station last night who was running 750mw. I don't think there is any way I would have heard that station with my Swan 600...

I've encountered many K2 and K3 users on the air and the ops love them but say it takes some getting used to to utilize all of the bells and whistles.

I worked one Flex Radio user. Other than that, people seem to put them up for sale. I haven't heard anybody on the air rave about them.

I also worked a Corsair user the other day and the CW tone from that rig was very, very fine. I think the op said it drifts some, though.

3. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I think the Flex stuff has a great following of loyal, dedicated and enthusiastic users. But then, an equal number of operators have tried them and just didn't like or couldn't get used to the pretty big change from traditional "lots of knobs on the front panel" rigs. Flex makes some high-performance stuff that rates highly in several important categories; but if you can't get used to dedicating a computer to it, and the standard vagaries of computer operation, and performing most operations with a mouse and not knobs...those guys do tend to sell them.

If you think the TS-430S has a great receiver, you should try some newer stuff that blows it away. But it might not matter: This is a hobby and not a profession, and unless the other guy in a QSO asks me what I'm using for equipment, usually I don't discuss it. And since I'm not on television, they can't see it, either.:)

4. AB9LZ

AB9LZ Ham Member QRZ Page

In the new, under $1k category, the Kenwood TS480 with an analog CW filter is a surprisingly good CW rig.

73 m/4

5. KB9BVN

KB9BVN Ham Member QRZ Page

My vote is for a Elecraft K2 with or without the 100w Amp. You can get the K2 with most of the options installed, used, on eBay for under $700.00 and the K2/100 for about $1100 or less. It has one of the best receivers on the market still today. I am partial to Elecraft, as I prefer American companies. I do own a K1, a K2/100, and until recently had a KX-1 as well. I would like a K3 but the K2 does so much more than I need already. I'll keep it. I also really like the Ten Tec Jupiter...I have used that one but I don't own one.

6. KK7EL

KK7EL Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

OP, I have a nice Ten-Tec Omni VI+ in the closet that I am trying to decide what to do with. Add a narrow CW filter and it would be very good for CW (I have a 756 Pro III and a QRP K-3). Had not thought about selling it, but maybe I should, suspect it is worth about $1000 shipped. Advise via PM if interested.

7. AD4DQ

AD4DQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes a Swan on CW! I use to work CW off a Swan 270B. Here is my MX-100 as I was on CW today.... whistling into the mic.... thats funny!
    [​IMG]

8. AE7F

AE7F Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice to meet you. You're the 2nd Swan CW guy I've met!

Is that a TS-440 you have there?

I worked a guy the other day who was using a pen as a CW key. That was cool.

9. AD4DQ

AD4DQ Ham Member QRZ Page

You have a good eye! Yes that is my 440 to the left of the swan. :)

10. WA3UCC

WA3UCC Guest

What do you guys think of the FTDX5000?

On the higher-end, anyone have good/bad experience with the FTDX5000/mp?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.