Best HF antenna that does not require a tower?

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KB7QPS, Mar 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
  1. WA9CWX

WA9CWX Ham Member QRZ Page

You absolutely can not go wrong with a lot of wire, up high as it can go, and fed with lasdder line.That is what was known for years as A 'REAL McCoy"'.

It was the favoritew antenna of Lew McCoy, a well respected author and QST contributer for decades. His book on antennas basicly says that no other piece of wire, in ANY configuration can beat an equal length of wire fed with open line and up as high as you can get it. You will do well, congrats and have fun! hope to work you on the low bands....

Frank

2. KB7QPS

KB7QPS Ham Member QRZ Page

What makes you think it'll get wet?

It's actually hot and dry around where I live, in the summer, for about nine days each year.

Yeah, wet feedline will be the norm. I'll ask some locals about that.

3. KD7MSC

KD7MSC Ham Member QRZ Page

Using Ladder line will be fine! :) Much much less loss than coax expecialy at the lengths you are talking about. Every feed line has some kind of problem. Some coax can act like a sponge when it rains. While I am not "local" to you I live in a wet enviroment and don't notice any changes in my antenna when it gets wet. My Elmer is from Seatle and he is the one who turned me on to ladder line.

This is the wire I use. Link I use Part #554

Sounds like you are going to have some fun.

73, Sean

4. K3WRV

K3WRV Guest

All I was saying is that Ladder line has it's quirks, so pse expect them. I think you'll be happy but no gaurntees. Was just pointing out some cautions. But my coax fed antennas here also have moisture issues. I was just being empirical. Your antenna shou;ld work well. I'm a big fan of ladder line, but I don't live in See Attle!

5. N8CPA

N8CPA Ham Member QRZ Page

Hmmm. No tower? Trees all around that you can use? Make a zipline (for want of a better word) supported end fed Vee. You stretch the zip line between two tall trees, and suspend the peak of the Vee by zip line, the same way trolley wires are suspended over tracks. The only difference is that the trolley wire slopes at right angle to the direction of the suspension wire.

Suspending it that way should isolate it somewhat from the wet leaf effect that persists after rain.

You live on a 30 acre parcel and you have an outdoor aesthetcis committee? If "The Gestapo of Looks" says anything about it, you point that their faces are violations of your aesthetic standards. But since you cut them some slack, they can cut you some slack. In all likelihood, it would take them 3 years to evict you anyway.

Ohhhh, how I hate such dictators and their ilk!

6. KB7QPS

KB7QPS Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, the outdoor aesthetics committee has one person on it, and that person is my wife. Her face actually meets my aesthetics standards quite nicely.

(I do hold veto power on this committee and I won't hesitate to use it if the committee does not allow for "reasonable accomodations for amateur radio". But she is the type of person who is fascinated and interested by my hobbies, including ham radio, and I don't want to change that because of an ill-placed antenna.)

7. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

WOW what a rip-off !:mad: you can make a dipole or inv V. with 20 bucks worth of coax,wire and insulators !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    :eek:

8. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

Compared to copper the steel wire has a lot of resistance and is not the best for antennas.
    I have been using THHN #14 wire for all my antennas (160 & 80M dipole, 40 & 30M loops) at this QTH for the last 15 years. This is light enough to span the length of a 160M dipole and strong enough to survive hundred pound tree limbs falling on it. But it did rip the coax out of the connector on the center 1:1 BalUn !.
    I only suport the dipoles at the center , I bought the MFJ 1:1 baluns with the eyebolt for supporting the thing with a rope attached to a high tree limb..
    I bought a few 500 ft spools of this wire before the last price jump.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2009
  9. N8CPA

N8CPA Ham Member QRZ Page

In that case, be very, very nice to her, for SHE must be appeased. I have one of those too, and I know the consequences of failure in that regard.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.