Best HF antenna for 5th Wheel, Buddipole?

Discussion in 'RV Operating and Camping' started by N6REK, Oct 16, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. K9PHT

K9PHT Ham Member QRZ Page

I have my ICOM IC706MKII setup in my f150 Truck and use this antenna setup...

[​IMG]
    Roy's image...

What I have done is to have a second control head setup with longer cable and run that back to my OFF-ROAD camper or picnic table... Works great doing this...
    Roy Ken
    K9PHT

K0UO likes this.
  2. K9PHT

K9PHT Ham Member QRZ Page

More recently I have added a lot of Radio to my off-road camper...
    This is floor plan showing where everything is located...

[​IMG]
    Roy's image

I have a off-center dipole I like to put up on my ten foot small tower section on the trailer bumper and throw the ends up in the trees at the camp site... DIPOLES always do good for me with my radios... Running a ground rod into the ground three or four feet helps too... Most of my camping is off-grid...

My favorite bands is 80/40 when camping off-grid...

Roy Ken
    K9PHT

3. N3AWS

N3AWS Ham Member QRZ Page

I suggest you take a look at "Compact 40 meter HF loop for your recreational vehicle" by John Portune W6NBC which appears in the ARRL Antenna Compendium Vol. 8.

You might like what you see.

Jim N3AWS

4. KN4XJ

KN4XJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I use the bottom 30ft of a 12meter spiderpole to support a G5RV Jr. The tuner in my 590 tunes it well and I have plenty of contacts out to 1200 + miles with it. Not a real dx magnet but it's only 30ft high.

5. W7EDC

W7EDC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Surprised I have not seen anybody come out with a one or two band collapsible/foldable hexbeam. I think something like that would be great for an RV set-up. I often run an end fed in an inverted L configuration using a 40' push up mast. I works good but has some drawbacks. I am really beginning to look at screwdriver options...but the prices, sheesh?!