Best height for a 6m Half-Square

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by K4EM, May 30, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
  1. K4EM

K4EM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I am thinking of re-purposing (re-sizing to 6m specs) a 40m Half Square for 6m use. The horizontal wire would be about 60' for the 6m HS. Is that too high or just right?

Dave
    k4em

2. WA7ARK

WA7ARK Ham Member QRZ Page

How are you planning to route the coax from the feedpoint in the upper corner down to the ground?

AK5B likes this.
  3. WA7ARK

Looks like this:
    upload_2021-5-30_9-41-11.png

N is the height of the bottom of Wire 1 in feet. Wire 1 and 2 are 5.28ft each. Wire 2 is 9.53ft.
    upload_2021-5-30_9-43-52.png
    Pay attention to the "3D Pattern" columns.

Unlikely you will get these results after accounting for the coax shield routing/choking or lack thereof.

4. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

5. WA7ARK

Based on K9LA's analysis, N=15 ft is optimum.
    upload_2021-5-30_11-6-54.png

6. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Why would a 42 degree TOA be optimum for 6 meters?

Makes no sense to me. My experience on 50 MHz over >50 years of using the band has always been "the higher, the better," and the 2x-3x Es is almost always at very low angles.

My best-ever home antenna on 6m was four stacked 5L beams up 70 feet above ground at the lower beams (H-frame, with the beams stacked 2 x 2). Outperformed every single other 6m station in my area for many miles in all directions, and most of them wondered what the hell I was working when they heard nothing.:p

N8ZL, M0AGP and AK5B like this.
  7. AK5B

AK5B Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree. Who really cares about single-hop Es?

K0UO likes this.
  8. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

"The conclusion of this analysis is that elevation angles from 0degrees to 15 degrees are most important for 6m sporadic E propagation. These angles cover 700 km to 2300 km." from the referenced K9LA paper.

9. K4EM

K4EM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I thought of making 4 turns on a 3" or 4" form of RG213 and feeding at the corner and route the coax close to 45deg away from the feed point.

dave
    k4em

10. M0AGP

M0AGP Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow! That must have been a blast to play with! Ever try EME as the moon was rising?
    (sorry off-topic)