Best FT-891 settings WSJT-X, JS8Call, and other digi modes

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by W7ESR, Nov 1, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W7ESR

W7ESR Ham Member QRZ Page

I am just now jumping into testing my FT-891 with a data to audio cable. What settings have you used to be successful on digi modes? I will post mine in the next few days. I'm testing right now and comparing it to my IC-7300. I'm using both a high spec windows desktop and a med/low spec laptop with linux as various options. So far I can get them both to work but fine tuning the radio is going to take some time ;)

I'm looking for any settings and/or tweaks you use. Filter WDH, data out, att, IPO mic settings on the computer side. Let me know what has worked for you. So far the between the computers I have noticed a different with the onboard sound-card vs a high-end aftermarket USB gaming sound card (shocking I know) its not huge but its noticeable.

Ill update with all my plugged in settings soon! 73!

Eric
    W7ESR

2. N5SMO

N5SMO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

If you want the full waterfall on WSJTX, then use a full 3K bandwidth filter. Make sure all the DSP functions like NB and DNR are turned off for digi modes. Run the audio input level such that there is no ALC indication at all. The narrow notch filter is the perfect width for blocking out a strong FT8 station in the passband. Ideally, you don't use the mike, you use the rear panel audio in connector on the DIN port and have the radio in Data mode so that there is no audio pre-emphasis or equalization being used on your data signal.

3. N5SMO

N5SMO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

IPO depends on the band used. IPO = off is the same as Preamp on, which you typically use on the quieter bands like 15m and higher frequencies.