ad: k1jek

Best frequency for dynamic environments?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KE7RUX, Mar 25, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. KE7RUX

KE7RUX Ham Member QRZ Page

What would you consider the best frequency for dynamic environments?

If there was one theoretical "King of the Hill" frequency you had to pick, what would it be?

The range is relatively close, ranging from metropolitan to rural 15 mi max (details below).
    The range is close enough that there should be an appropriate "bracket" of distance where one frequency can be applicable.

This is without the use of repeaters, and for voice simplex use, and it doesn't have to be your typical ham modulation.
    (Let's assume the appropriate wattage according to distance and other variables such as the proper equipment and antennas are automatically employed so we don't have the need to discuss that.:rolleyes:)

If you'd like to pitch in what RF modulation you would suggest, that's fine, but I'm not looking nor asking for such in this post. I will be posing that question in a separate post here:
    https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?threads/best-rf-modulation-for-dynamic-environments.698188/

I live in a peculiar environment, where the city center (where I currently work and reside) has buildings about a 1^2mi on a hill, then just outside of the city center it transitions small buildings for 1-3^2 mi on a flatter terrain, followed by endless miles of farmland.

I have tree points of contact:
    1. Inside the heart of the city center through endless floors and buildings, usually no more than
    2. City center to city limits approx. 3 mi out
    3. City center to 15 mi out

Concerns: 440MHz simplex is great for the buildings...but not much else here. 70cm tends to get "eaten" by the farmland, and for mid distance (1-2mi out), sometimes 2M shoots right over my head, and I can receive 220MHz great and 440MHz with some haze.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
  2. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

This is not a good time for an "everything" band, but 20 is still probably it...it does go to bed early some evenings, though, so let's say "20 and 40." ;)

Your location in the city is not a problem, as long as you can put up a decent enough antenna. I lived downtown on a tiny city lot surrounded by huge old Victorian homes for over 20 years. My antennas were a dipole for 20 and a G5RV Junior for everything else. I limited myself to 100 watts most of the time, too. Nevertheless, I worked plenty of DX.
    Much of it on CW. :)

3. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

As much as I hate to say it, CB radio might be a good solution.

AF7XI likes this.
  4. W4HWD

W4HWD Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

27.025 MHz.

AI3V likes this.
  5. N3HGB

N3HGB Ham Member QRZ Page

100 watts FM on 29.6 :)

6. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I found it difficult to really understand the original post.

However, based on the constraints listed, 75m SSB would work perfectly around the clock and at such long wavelengths, "walls" and such don't matter at all. Unlike VHF or UHF where dielectrics other than gasses (like air) can be very lossy, at long wavelengths that's not the case.

I don't believe there is any time of day or night I cannot make solid, strong-signal contacts within 15 miles on 75 meter SSB, even using fairly low power.

Only issue is "antenna size.":p Can't do it with a short whip.

W7EDC and KA4DPO like this.
  7. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

That is how they used to do it in the thirties, and it worked well. But you are correct about antennas, even a base loaded whip requires a big loading coil.

8. WE4E

WE4E Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

100 watts SSB on 28.400

9. WL7PM

WL7PM Ham Member QRZ Page

Inside 400 miles ? 75 meter SSB
    Inside 5 miles: Bicycle courier.

10. KE7RUX

KE7RUX Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm having a difficult time understanding HF propagation. How do walls and other dense objects not cause signal loss to HF?