ad: elecraft

Best Free Logger

Discussion in 'Logbooks & Logging Programs' started by AF6XN, Jul 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: abrind-2
  1. AF6XN

AF6XN Ham Member QRZ Page

Please tell me about your favorite FREE logger program. Is there anything out there that is comparable to AC Log? I don't need one that has CW reader or interfaces with the tranceiver. Just an easy to use logger that will tell me if I have any duplicates, when and what freq. etc.

If you know of one, please include a link to it so I can download and check it out.

73's

AF6XN

2. KB1NXE

KB1NXE Ham Member QRZ Page

While Ham Radio Deluxe is a complete suite of software, there's no reason you HAVE to use the rig control, SAT Locator, etc. The Log Book is a separate program that can be used standalone.

In the ADD QSO feature, it will tell you when you worked a station previously, will do QRZ lookups automagically, allows multiple logs (great for contesters or DXpeditions), does auto uploads to eQSL and soon QRZ and LoTW, provides a DX Cluster, gray line map and an enormous list of other features you may or not need. It will also pass data to Google Earth for you to map all your QSO's. It also has built-in contest settings so you can fill number or whatever for common contests, and has a feature to check awards that is always being updated.

It definitely meets your requirements.

FWIW, I just think HRD is some of the best freeware available to the ham community. I'm not associated with HRD, other than I use the heck outta it....

3. WA4OTD

WA4OTD Ham Member QRZ Page

Ham Radio Deluxe. I could not be happier and there is so much in this package I cannot imagine outgrowing it.

the spots, dups, by band, country, etc are so easy you have so much info so quickly.

Also as I start QSL'ing and tracking from HRD it is really nice.

here you go! http://www.hamradiodeluxe.com/HRDv5.aspx

4. K4RKY

K4RKY Ham Member QRZ Page

HRD free

Ham Radio Deluxe by a mile. Simon HB9DRV does a great job of keeping it current. One other option that some do and some do not like is eQSL.cc.
    It is free and web based.:confused::eek:

5. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

Will HRD bog down my hard drive (nearly full) with gigabites of usless code if I only want to keep a log and send E-QSLs.
    Also , where can I find a vonunteer to type 48 years worth of paper logs into the computer?

6. N4IAG

N4IAG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I never see it mentioned much but MicroLog is a very simple to use everyday log with a lot of non complicated features. The only difference in the free and paid versions is the built in callbook.

http://www.wa0h.com/

7. KB1NXE

No. HRD uses a SQL database structure and does NOT cause a bloated log file as some linear data bases can.

Sorry, can't help with Data Entry.

If your hard drive is nearly full, might I recommend one of the outboard USB connected drives. It may also be prudent to back up much of that data onto a multi-gigabyte USB drive before it crashes.

8. KB1NXE

Yes, the basic version of MicroLog with basic functionality is free. So's HRD. But the additional functionality of lookups and uploads is included in the HRD price, not the MicroLog price.

9. K4RKY

K4RKY Ham Member QRZ Page

Sounds like the making of a new business venture... "Log Book Data Entry Inc." inquire within! GL!

10. KR2D

KR2D Ham Member QRZ Page

DXKeeper, part of DXLab Suite. Free as in beer, but not open source. The entire suite does more than you want, but you can install only DXKeeper if you only want logging. It does award tracking, QSL tracking & printing, and links easily with LoTW and eQSL if you use them. It interoperates with other software, even HRD, with "gateway" programs to connect them.

When you want rig control, QRZ lookup, DX cluster monitoring, PSK/CW/RTTY, rig control, mapping, propagation prediction, etc, etc, etc, you can install the other parts of the suite as desired.

The author is Dave AA6YQ. He is very helpful. More info at http://www.dxlabsuite.com/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.