Best Desk Microphone for Kenwood TS-590sg

Discussion in 'Microphones, Speakers & Audio Processing' started by N4RME, Oct 2, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-gcopper
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-rfparts
ad: K3QNTad-1
  1. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

You do not need to (pay big $$).

Microphones are so EASY ... A Cave Man Can Do It.
    Numerous magazines articles have been written for decades on building a $10 microphone.
    Sadly, this technical hobby has operators without Basic Knowledge and Skills.

Find a non-working desk microphone (Often Free or Goodwill stores) and repair it.
    At most, it would require:
    1.) Maker or Fabrication skills (basic shop), common shop tools, plus soldering skills.
    2.) New microphone element.
    3.) New PTT switch.
    4.) New wire / connector between desk microphone and radio.

August 2014 Example: Repair of Shure 450, series II (FREE, not working, BigBox retail store)
    Obviously required a New cord, BUT earlier repair attempt (?) damaged the PTT switch.
    https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?th...he-gotcha-in-this-repair.447172/#post-3240843

47479A1B-661D-4FD3-AEC8-7E54B316D1B0.jpeg
    Former Cable appears to have been “Ripped out” braking off
    the brass solder lug on the Leaf Switch (Push-to-Talk).
    Switchcraft still makes that part for Shure, so just required ordering repair part.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
    WA7PRC likes this.
  2. NL7W

NL7W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The MC-90 would do great for you.

3. KA5ROW

KA5ROW Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The best desk mike for any radio, is the one made buy the manufacture of the radio.

N7BDY likes this.
  4. N4RME

N4RME Ham Member QRZ Page

I thought the same thing until I contacted Kenwood Amateur Radio Tech support.
    Apparently that is not the case. The Kenwood tech three times advised to get a Heil mike for the TS-590sg. He recommended the Heil PR30, PR40 as well as the Gold Elite mike.

5. WA8FOZ

WA8FOZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Two suggestions:
    1. If you are near a ham radio store, go and try out the various Heil or other options. If you choose one of the Heil mics, they can provide info about settings for the 590.
    2. Call Heil on the landline with a good quality phone and talk to Bob or one of the other staff. They can listen to your voice and make a recommendation.

6. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Last edited: Oct 14, 2017 at 9:43 AM
  7. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

For ham radio use, just about any microphone is fine. After all, we're not using it in broadcast or recording studios. As @W9GB stated repeatedly, simple and inexpensive works fine. I decided to setup a new microphone for that 'big time broadcaster' feel but, I didn't want to make a yuuuge investment. I found a Radio Shack #33-3038 unidirectional dynamic microphone for $20. RS buys it and has their name on it. I've seen others that appear identical. Sometimes when I use it, I get unsolicited compliments, "...it sounds as good as a [big name] microphone...". Most of the time, I use a headset. I also get unsolicited compliments. The difference is, I don't have to hold my head still. :)

When I set up the RS microphone, I didn't want to waste operating table space with a desk base, and decided on a boom with 36" length to reach the middle of my table. I found a Hercules #MS540B low-rise long-reach boom. :)

8. N4RME

I was able to find another Kenwood MC-60A in perfect condition and was even able to talk to the seller on his radio which is exact same model I have and he was able to turn the processor on and off and do different adjustments to the radio while we chatted from NC to Oklahoma City. The mic cut right through the noise and static. I was sold after our 20 minute conversation. The mic has shipped and will be here Monday.
    Thanks for all the ideas and advise. I did get back in touch with the tech at KW and asked why he was recommending Heil and not the KW product. He said the KW mic would work but he uses Heil on his radio at work as well as at home and was recommending what he uses.
    I am sure I will be very happy once again using the MC-60a as in the old days.

WA7PRC likes this.
  9. KM3F

KM3F Ham Member QRZ Page

Why have you not used the 590 audio monitor and a set of head phones to hear what you sound like and adjust the EQ, instead of all this carry-on over a mike?

Good luck.

10. N4RME

I did not have the mike until the other day and it is not going to be here until tomorrow. How would I test it?
    Beside, the radio is so new to me that I was not aware of that function. I will need to read up to see how to do it. Thanks.