Best Coax for 10 Meters?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KD9ANZ, Mar 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. K1FBI

K1FBI Ham Member QRZ Page

He didn't post it, someone else decided to make a big deal about the guy's comment by trying to belittle him using his qrz page. Pathetic.[/QUOTE]
    The only thing "Pathetic" is someone operating in camouflage. :mad:

2. W4IOA

W4IOA Ham Member QRZ Page

The only thing "Pathetic" is someone operating in camouflage. :mad:[/QUOTE]
    That one I have no understanding of the meaning

3. K1FBI

Thanks Glenn, I did some research before I posted. I found out the shielding is cut at segments along the wire to allow the leakage. I'll check out the links you provided. Interesting stuff.

4. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

FBI:

With the Radio Shack cable, the shielding was so bad that it did not require cutting segments to allow leakage! The "segments" were part of the initial manufacture of the cable.

Glen, K9STH

5. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The original poster, a newbie fellow, has disappeared from this thread - maybe because of the old-timer chest thumping and cable genius insider quips about the glory days, some in self-important large font, over 5 pages.
    Hope he got the initial message.

KC9VFO and W4IOA like this.
  6. K1FBI

GO BIG OR GO HOME:D

WB0MPB likes this.
  7. WB0MPB

WB0MPB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

That one I have no understanding of the meaning[/QUOTE]
    Or operating commando.
    John, WB0MPB

8. NN3W

NN3W Ham Member QRZ Page

Here's my reasoning against RG58. Its not great coax, it doesn't take high power well, and its lossy above 50 or 100 feet in length.

At some point, the OP may decide that 10 meters is a fun band (or 15 meters or 20 meters) and he may decide to invest in a regular radio or get a regular radio and a linear.

That RG58 is not going to like power and most everyone is going to tell him to $hit can the RG58 for better coax.

So, in the short term, he may have saved money (spending $0.26 a foot at the RFC). But then he relegates that coax to the dust bin and then has to spend an additional $.30 a foot (at the RFC) for RG 8X or $0.77 for RG213. Just buy the RG8X now and be done with it (spend $0.30 now) versus spending effectively $0.56 later ($0.26 for RG58 + $0.30 for RG8X).

By the way, my go to source as mentioned above - the RF Connection in Gaithersburg, MD. Won't buy elsewhere..... Good prices, good service.

I was -not- paid for this recommendation.

K1FBI likes this.
  9. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That depends entirely on the frequency.

Maybe. But read the first post: a 50 foot run at low power. The added performance of "RG-8" style coax (actually RG-213, etc.) is very small.

Perhaps the best recommendation is to look around and compare prices. I have found RG-8X for about the same price as RG-58.

It must be remembered that when you're 15 and on a limited budget, first-cost is a big deal.

73 de Jim, N2EY

10. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

You are not allowed to ask a simple question on QRZ. :eek:

K1FBI, WB0MPB, WA7PRC and 1 other person like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.