Best Coax for 10 Meters?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KD9ANZ, Mar 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: DLSpec-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K1FBI

K1FBI Ham Member QRZ Page

OK U designation. Won't get him W.A.S. but might get him worked all neighbors.

2. KB9UWU

KB9UWU Ham Member QRZ Page

I was going to say the same thing. Rg58 great on 960MHz lolll

3. KB0TT

KB0TT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

A 20 wpm extra ? Right .....

4. WB0MPB

WB0MPB Subscriber QRZ Page

"I was first licensed in 1980 and am a 20 wpm EXTRA. "

Am I suppose to be really impressed? Who cares if you are a codie or no codie. Being a codie makes you no better than those none codies. Gee Wiz man. A hams a ham. Knowing code does not make you Albert Einstein. You can know code and still be as dumb as a box of rocks!!
    John, WB0MPB

K1FBI likes this.
  5. W4IOA

W4IOA Ham Member QRZ Page

[QUOTE"WB0MPB, post: 3801801, member: 777591"]"I was first licensed in 1980 and am a 20 wpm EXTRA. "

Am I suppose to be really impressed? Who cares if you are a codie or no codie. Being a codie makes you no better than those none codies. Gee Wiz man. A hams a ham. Knowing code does not make you Albert Einstein. You can know code and still be as dumb as a box of rocks!!
    John, WB0MPB[/QUOTE]
    He didn't post it, someone else decided to make a big deal about the guy's comment by trying to belittle him using his qrz page. Pathetic.

6. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

FBI:

Not a hoax nor April Fool's gag!

The purpose of a leaky line antenna system is for the entire length of the cable to serve as the antenna for the purpose of "filling in" dead areas, etc., that cannot easily be covered by a regular antenna. With many such systems, the far end of the cable doesn't really have to be terminated although I usually installed a 47-ohm or 51-ohm resistor across the far end of the cable. The less the power delivered to the far end of the cable the better since the basic idea is to have the signal, both transmitted and received, distributed along the entire cable instead of being concentrated only at the far end.

Depending on exactly where the system is installed, the distance, to the antenna, usually doesn't have to be more than a few hundred feet and often less than a hundred feet. In tunnels, the distance may be measured in tens of feet. The whole idea is that radio communications are possible within areas that would, otherwise, be completely "dead".

Leaky line antenna systems are used for specific applications and are not used for general applications.

Here are a couple of Internet sites with information on such installations:

http://www.solwise.co.uk/downloads/files/leaky-feeder-cable-introduction.pdf

https://www.itu.int/dms_pubrec/itu-r/rec/m/R-REC-M.1075-0-199409-I!!PDF-E.pdf

Leaky line antennas are being used a lot these days to provide WiFi access within buildings and other areas that are shielded from "normal" antennas. However, they have been used, for decades, in the two-way radio arena.

Glen, K9STH

7. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

We use leaky line at our building to improve WiFi coverage throughout. It's cheaper than repeaters or multiple antennas, and does the job fine.

Rat Shack coax may well have qualified for that, but I have no idea what we're actually using, that's up to the I.T. guys who do the crawling around.

8. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

You can't say that "RG-xx" from a given source is always crap or good. RS had some good stuff and Belden et al makes some cheesy stuff. Ya gotta compare part numbers. A look at Belden's catalog (link) shows a widely-varying quality of a given RG-number. About the only RG-cables that are consistent are those that carry a Mil specification (such as RG-213/U, RG-58C/U). And even then, those two aren't the best available in their respective sizes... they're just guaranteed to meet a specification.

9. WB0MPB

WB0MPB Subscriber QRZ Page

He didn't post it, someone else decided to make a big deal about the guy's comment by trying to belittle him using his qrz page. Pathetic.[/QUOTE]
    Well what was the guys real comment then? And how did they try to belittle him for it?
    John, WB0MPB

10. W4IOA

W4IOA Ham Member QRZ Page

Well what was the guys real comment then? And how did they try to belittle him for it?
    John, WB0MPB[/QUOTE]

follow both links. No one posted that they were 20wpm, it was taken from his webpage to ridicule the guy's comment

Best Coax for 10 Meters?
    Best Coax for 10 Meters?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.