Best Coax for 10 Meters?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KD9ANZ, Mar 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

For a 50 foot run on 10 meters, at 100 watts or less, RG-8X is more than adequate. More expensive coax will have a fraction of a db less loss but the difference is not worth it.

However, if the run was longer, say 200 feet, the more expensive coax would be worthwhile.

73 de Jim, N2EY

2. K4PIH

K4PIH Ham Member QRZ Page

My point. Some are suggesting to buy this or that coax that is better yada yada yada. Not arguing that point, but just starting out on 10 RG58 is just fine. He'll likely be running 25 watts into less than 75 ft of the stuff, into a simple yet efficient dipole. Another suggestion is to find a CB ground plane and clean it up and adjust it for 10. It's what I do for 10 and it works well. He's not building a super contest station, he's just starting out. Good time to experiment. That's what make the hobby fun.

KC8VWM likes this.
  3. K4PIH

K4PIH Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh, I also run RG58 only at the QTH and I don't seem to have any problems. The real kind with full shielding, not the Rat Shack stuff.

4. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

PIH:

I used to purchase the Radio Shack RG58/U by the 1000-foot spool! It was perfect for certain applications from 150 MHz all the way through 960 MHz! Depending on the installation, runs from 100-feet to over 1000-feet were implemented. The cable was installed in hospitals, office buildings, warehouses, tunnels, etc. Since the shielding, in the cable, was dismal, using it as a "leaky line" antenna worked just as well as, in some cases better than, Andrew "Radiax" at a cost of around 10-cents per foot versus almost $5.00 per foot!

Glen, K9STH

5. NL7W

NL7W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

This must have happened before flame retardant cabling and penetration fire stop standards were put into practice. Nowadays, FR rated cables, usually meeting UL / NFPA flame tests, are required in structures like schools, hospitals, office buildings, etc. Code and savvy project managers require such.

6. KV4RH

KV4RH Ham Member QRZ Page

The same kind you'd use on 11M.

:cool:

K1FBI and WB0MPB like this.
  7. K1FBI

K1FBI Ham Member QRZ Page

Set Parameters as Desired Line Type:

Line Type: Tandy Cable RG-58
    Line Length: 1000 FT
    Frequency: 960 MHz
    Load SWR: 1.2
    Power In: 10 Watts
    Total Loss: 154.571 dB
    Power Out: 0 Watts

Either this is an April Fools joke or I call B.S.
    On 10 Meters 1500 Watts in would give you 13 Watts out!!

KB9UWU likes this.
  8. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

1500 watts will melt RG58!
    (just playing along) :)

K1FBI likes this.
  9. K1FBI

K1FBI Ham Member QRZ Page

More expensive cable can be direct buried and last.

10. NL7W

NL7W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It's a radiating, 50-ohm load. No need to terminate.
    Let it be free!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.