Best Coax for 10 Meters?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KD9ANZ, Mar 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
  1. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

"Best,"or even "good" is a relative term. The ham that has never used more than a quarter wave dipole may say another antenna is "gangbuisters," but has only one reference. The ham that puts up a G5RV or other antenna , and never used a resonant antenna on any or all the bands to which he/she can compare, can say the "G5RV is "fantastic," but has no reference to which they can compare its performance. As the say9ing goes, ANYTHING is better than nothing. Even an "incandescent light bulb dummy load" can allow some contacts, especially at HF. Is it a good antenna? Well, as they say, anything is better than nothing.
    I agree, and I've had excellent products from RFC. The price differential between RG-58 vs RG-8X is pretty inconsequential when you are looking at the long term investment.
    And I'll agree, RG-58 is pretty much s*** above 10 MHz; good quality RG-8X will run rings around it at the higher frequencies, especially important if PROPER connectors are used. On short runs, (less than 50') I'd choose good quality RG-8X over Rg-213, any time, even @ 2 Meters, as its so much easier to handle. Over 50', I'd then move to LMR-400 or similar, even if it's overkill as to power handling capability. (But then again. one should think about the future, not just the current need.! You will almost NEVER regret "overbuying," and having the best is worth not having to climb a tower to exchange coax in the middle of a blizzard, or when there are "twister" warnings!!)

2. WB0MPB

WB0MPB Subscriber QRZ Page

I always use to have a beam but can't where I live now. I was sad knowing here I could only use a dipole. So I have outside a 40 meter dipole and a tuner on it. Like I said a other time this is my first time using a tuner. I figured without a beam I would not make many contacts but WOW I have been making hundreds of contacts. More DX then US. So you can do a lot with simple antennas. I have been on HF all afternoon. I had a blast. (Except for all the idiot operators that are on 20 meters. Some of these operators have NO brains. I love it when two guys get right on top off the DX on 14.200 and complain about all the hams causing QRM. They don't know they are causing QRM just as bad??? I did not spend much time there. I spent time contacting National Parks and helping QSO part people.
    John, WB0MPB

3. KP4SX

KP4SX Subscriber QRZ Page

I made up an E-H antenna once for 40 meters. It actually did work and I had a G5RV @ 15 ft for comparison. You can see where this is headed :) One poster on an E-H venue commented in all seriousness that it worked as well hanging up in a tree as it did in his basement. I actually worked a station with my E-H sitting (standing) on the workshop bench.

4. K1FBI

K1FBI Ham Member QRZ Page

A new ham recently posted here they needed to find a rotor controller. I let him have mine for free.
    Another time I gave a mobile mag mount to a new ham and adjusted the SWR for him.
    I agree, someone could hook him up and someone local could set him up.

What I don't understand is both his Mom and Dad are hams. They should be the ones Elmering him.

W4IOA likes this.
  5. VA3DLO

VA3DLO Ham Member QRZ Page

Im running a 10 meter rig im using 50 feet rg8x .. Would lmr400 be beter since its lower loss? Will lower loss cable like lmr400 help inprove trancieve ?

6. NN3W

NN3W Ham Member QRZ Page

LMR 400 is probably overkill for 50 feet of coax. RG213 will be more than adequate. And frankly RG8X isnt too bad at 50'.

7. VA3DLO

Oh ok but isnt the lower the loss better? Is it true the shorter the feed line the better?

8. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

These things can matter at their extremes. At 10-meters and with the feedline runs and power most hams are using it doesn't make a noticeable difference. ;)

9. VA3DLO

Oh ok so lmr400 wont make a mutch of a difference ok thanks for all tne info..i appruciate your guy's Don 73's

10. K1FBI

K1FBI Ham Member QRZ Page

Go back to CB.. terrible advice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.