ad: Schulman-1

Best Coax for 10 Meters?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KD9ANZ, Mar 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-3
  1. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Sure you are.

The thing is, you'll get a bunch of answers, only some of which will actually contain useful information.

2. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

What time is it ? I want to build a watch.

3. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Tune in WWV at 2.5, 5, 10, or 15 MHz...

---

Seriously, though....one of the issues is that what appears to be a "simple" question often isn't.

For example....what's the best (50 ohm) coax for 10 meters? Can't really answer that without knowing things such as length of run, power level, available funds, acceptable loss, other constraints (size of hole in the house, flexibility, direct burial....)

4. W4IOA

W4IOA Ham Member QRZ Page

He did tell us it was a 50 foot run, and a 25 watt 10m radio. Enough info to give hime a hand. I wished he was local, we'd just give him a length of coax and a rigid dipole to get started. And we have a weekly 10m net for techs. This is what our club does for new techs.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2016
    K1TGX likes this.
  5. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree.

Some say, "This is the type I use and is the best". Sometimes the best is not required.

A new comer should get a answer like: "I can send you some if you can not afford the proper coax."

Hams should share with a brother. K7IOA has the right idea.

WA7PRC, WB0MPB and N2EY like this.
  6. WB0MPB

WB0MPB Subscriber QRZ Page

That is the nicest post I have ever read on here. Seriously. That is the way we should be. Give of ourselves to help new hams.

Now to get unserious, I can't afford a new beam and tower. Can you send me one? I am kind of a newbie. A newbie is a relative term. And I don't mean my family relatives!
    John, WB0MPB

7. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Waveguide @ 10 Meters? HOW could you support even the weight of such a feedline system?

Is someone being facetious. or not looking closely enough.?? ? At 10 CM, yes, waveguide would be a good choice, but at 10 Meters? I don't think so.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2016
  8. KP4SX

KP4SX Subscriber QRZ Page

Whoosh! :)

9. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

That's good but, K7IOA isn't the only (or first) one who's done that.

When I was a newly minted Novice ca 1970, I was offered and given free stuff that helped me get on the air. Without going into detail, I've tried to keep that in mind, and give something back.

vy 73,
    Bryan WA7PRC

W4IOA likes this.
  10. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.