Best Antenna for Yaesu FT-8900

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by POHONASIN, Jul 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Of course you realize that the antennas like the CR-8900A are tuned to the Ham Bands, and if you stray off frequency too far, they will not be resonant and cause a high SWR to the radio which can blow the final modules. So it is neccessary to have an antenna resonant to the frequency of desired operation, regardless of legality. Otherwise, if you blow the radio up, then you can put it on Ebay for Radio Mart to buy and re-sell as "Perfect mint Condition". The problem with that is some innocent buyer will get stuck with a radio that is hopeless cooked out! So if you are going to operate "out of band" which certainly isn't a good idea, but who am I to complain, be sure to use a MFJ antenna analyzer and adjust the antenna for correct resonance at the projected operating frequency. Good thing Riley retired! He wouldn't be happy about this at all.

2. W6GQ

W6GQ Swap Meet Moderator Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

Just buy a dummy load and connect it to the back, all is good then.

WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

3. POHONASIN

POHONASIN QRZ Member

Folks, although I appreciate the input...

Lets get a few things straight right from the start. I only moved to Stanhope a year ago and no one in the Fire Dept is using any Ham equipment but me. A few years ago I purchased a modified VX-5 hand held which allowed me to operate on the 155MHz band, which was my local ambulance corp. I was an officer and I save the dept several hundred dollars to provide a radio for me. I cannot opperate my radio on the frequencies in Stanhope because they are too low, so there is no problem. I want to lean more about Ham radios and eventually get my license, so all of your input is much appreciated. Just to make sure that you understand, The Stanhope Fire Dept is not using amature radio equipment.
    Thanks

4. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

Advice for the Bad Man

5. KC7YRA

KC7YRA Ham Member Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

Please try to understand that this question gets asked LITERALLY every week atleast once. People may seem a little grumpy but there is good reason.

Using any amateur radio equipment outside of the amateur band (except for mars/cap) is illegal in the US. I know that you may be saving your ambulance company hundreds of dollars but the legal ramifications and cost of having even one member use an amateur radio out of band may cost the company THOUSANDS of dollars every day.

Please do not use that radio for out of band stuff. The days have changed and the FCC is going down the 2.5k frequency bandwidth on FM business type stuff. YOur modified equipment may very well cause interferance with other users. This in turn can cost your company butt loads of money as well as you. Plus you may never be eligable for a ham radio license.

If you are very worried just get on e-bay and get some used part 90 type radios. They can be had for sometimes under $100 and are cheap to program.

BRad

6. KB0TT

KB0TT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You spent a bunch of BUX for that radio ... It is an AMATEUR radio PERIOD.... Even if you have an amateur license ( not amatuer ) you STILL cannot use it on the " other " frequencies .

That is IT !!!

Get your ticket and use that REALLY NICE radio where it it has been designed / engineered to operate ....

The Technician license is a killer .... The General license is even more a KILLER to obtain . You do realize that the license manuals DO provide the exact questions and answers ....

Me thinks I detect a troll to get people jump started . Opinion only....

Buy a couple of books, then you will read . within , that what you want to do is wrong . Get legal ......

Remember, all of these tests have the answers provided ...

Do what you want, I know you will anyway ...

JB

Last edited: Jul 26, 2008
  7. W0LPQ

W0LPQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Mr. Poho ...

If and when you get your amateur license, when you sign it ... you CERTIFY that you have read Part 97, which pertains to the amateur spectrum.

This means that you also certify that you will not use radios outside the amateur spectrum ... Which means you have read and understand the rules.

Using amateur radio stuff outside the allocated and legal amateur spectrum is ... illegal. The only exception is the MARS network. If and when you decide to join them, ask your local MARS Director for info on how to convert YOUR radio. Don't bother to ask here. CAP is no longer an issue, since their radios have to be NTIA compliant.

You are, when licensed, supposed to have a copy of Part 97 available to you (either hard copy or on your computer).

8. KB0TT

KB0TT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You guys don't get it .... He will do the mods ...

An amateur ticket is not in his way ....

Give up ..

JB

9. POHONASIN

POHONASIN QRZ Member

JB you think you know me pretty well

I did not know the laws and that is why I am asking. I would love to use my radio for what it was designed for, which is why I am going to read up and follow the links and get my license. Why are you so sure that I am just trying to start trouble? My goal is to gain knowledge, and with knowledge comes the wisdom to make the right decisions. I realize that ignorance is no excuse, but in this case if I did not know it was wrong, then how can I be labled. I appologize if these questions keep getting asked and you are tired of reading them, but isn't it the purpose of this forum? After all, it is labled "Questions and Answers"!
    I will end the topic here and now. thanks for all the constructive comments.
    Have a nice night

10. KR2D

KR2D Ham Member QRZ Page

All of the commercially available 5/8 wave 2m antennas have a matching coil. Whether by design or coincidence, the antenna system resonates on both 2m and 6m.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.