Best Analog Shortwave / HF Receiver Ever?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KK4NSF, Jan 25, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm guessing the three speed pacemaker is firing on all cylinders. Welcome back.

2. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

My favorite SW receiver here at my place is my HQ-180A. It's stable, sensitive, and it sounds good.

3. K9STH

K9STH Ham Member QRZ Page

DPO:

Since the new pacemaker includes a defibrillator, I definitely don't want it firing on all cylinders! :p

Glen, K9STH

KA4DPO and KK4NSF like this.
  4. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

too bad you can't apply that energy to an antenna! You could be a self-contained QRP!

5. K9STH

AAZ:

Most solid-state receivers are still inferior to tube-type receivers where front end overload is concerned as well as having higher internally generated noise. Designs and devices are definitely getting better with solid-state. However, where amateur radio receivers are considered, tube-type receivers come out on top with overload and internal noise are concerned.

Frequency stability and dial accuracy are areas in which the solid-state receiver wins "hands down". However, there are means to add this capability to tube-type receivers thus marrying the two types of receivers.

Glen, K9STH

PU2OZT and KK4NSF like this.
  6. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I wasn't around back then and haven't seen the original contract (RFI) specifications, but in most cases during my lifetime and in my experience having reviewed, bid on and awarded lots of government contracts over the decades, the most favored manufacturer contributed heavily to "writing" the requirements specification.

In all the cases I can think of, the preferred contractor actually did most of the writing, it was submitted to the contracting agency (DLA or whoever) and was issued a government identification (NSN or whatever) and then released for bid...at which point the most favored bidder was almost guaranteed to be awarded the contract because he actually wrote the specification around something they already had or similar to something they already had. It could take a year or more for others to catch up.

I did this myself with lots of semiconductor specifications which became MIL-S-19500 specs...after I already wrote them, around new designs we already had.:p Others could always bid, but may have to change materials or processes to actually meet the spec.

KM1H likes this.
  7. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

Youre dead on about the contracting procedures, been there several times.

Collins was only awarded the first two contracts, 1955 and 56. I dont know if they even bid on the others but obviously had to provide the IF mechanical filters and some of the PTO's. Ive read the Cosmos PTO was the best of the alternatives.

8. KY5U

KY5U Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

National NC-120

nc120.jpg

...the best. Had one when I was 10 growing up.

KA4DPO, WW2PT and KK4NSF like this.
  9. KJ4RT

KJ4RT Ham Member QRZ Page

Hallicrafters SX 110 and only because I have no experience with any others and it was the first one I ever operated.

KK4NSF likes this.
  10. K9STH

For Christmas, 1957, my parents bought me a used Heath AR-3 (from Allied Radio, 100 North Western Drive, Chicago, Illinois). That replaced an old Truetone (Western Auto) receiver with 1-shortwave band. The Truetone receiver had, among other things, a broken dial. I had removed the cabinet and made a panel out of fiber board. Then rigged a dial and, using stations of known frequency, made a rudimentary calibrated dial.

The AR-3 is slightly better than the Hallicrafters S-38- series, however, it still was not a really good receiver, in fact it barely is a mediocre receiver. But, I actually had a "real" shortwave receiver and was in 7th Heaven owning it. There were several amateur radio operators living close by including K9BPV who lived like 5-blocks away. I got interested in amateur radio.

Dave, K9BPV, was new in the area and, it just so happens, became one of my father's heating oil customers. My father arranged for me to meet Dave and the rest is history!

Between the time I took my Novice Class license examination, the AR-3 got traded in, again at Allied Radio, for a Hallicrafters S-107. Since then, I have owned a lot of different receivers. Looking back, that barely mediocre AR-3 was the best receiver that I have ever owned. Because of that receiver, my interests turned to telecommunications and, before retiring, made a very comfortable living working in telecommunications.

Glen, K9STH

KK4NSF likes this.