Best Analog Shortwave / HF Receiver Ever?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KK4NSF, Jan 25, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

Great minds, my friend.

W7UUU likes this.
  2. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

:)

3. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

A good mechanical VFO offers the instant feedback that makes it easy for me to tune in SSB signals. Plenty of bad implementations with drift and backlash. But I've built enough of them to make a good one for my 6M rig.

KK4NSF likes this.
  4. WW2PT

WW2PT Ham Member QRZ Page

I’m partial to the JRC NRD-535D. :D

AJ4GQ and KK4NSF like this.
  5. SM0AOM

SM0AOM Ham Member QRZ Page

Having evaluated several of the best HF analog receivers, both on the bench and in actual long-term operations, I would place the Rohde&Schwarz EK085 with the FK101 preselector and the Telefunken/Deutsche Aerospace E1800A at the top.

They have IM3, sideband noise and selectivity characteristics that are so good that it was difficult to find test equipment good enough to make meaningful measurements.

Other top analog performers are the Racal RA-3790 family,
    ITT-SRT CR91, Icom IC-R9500, the receiver parts of the IC-7851 and the Hilberling PT-8000.
    The three last use DSP information selectivity, but still have an analog conversion chain.

For performance in the lower price brackets, the Icom IC-R71 and the Drake R-7A/TR-7 receive "honourable mention".

73/
    Karl-Arne
    SM0AOM

Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
    PU2OZT, YO3GFH and KK4NSF like this.
  6. KK4NSF

I knew those two would pop up here.... both are superb. The Racal is not too shabby, either.

7. WA1GXC

WA1GXC Ham Member QRZ Page

Never operated one--but read technical reviews--

Mackay Marine 3010-C

Reviewed in QST

Dial tape made of photographic film. All failing now after 50 years.

KK4NSF likes this.
  8. KK4NSF

yep.... and eventually all of our old radios slowly die from old age, lack of parts, and obsolete operating modes.... just like WE will. BUT that day is still not yet upon us. Until it happens, my plan is to use my old stuff....either until it becomes so old it's unrepairable, OR until I become so old as to be unrepairable. Whichever comes first. :D

9. WA4ILH

WA4ILH Subscriber QRZ Page

The best general coverage SW receiver I personally owned was a Zenith Transoceanic receiver. This, of course, did not receive SSB but it was a great receiver for SWBC. I used to take it on camping trips when I was a boy scout back in the early 60s. The audio was excellent. The biggest problem for me was keeping it supplied with "A" & "B" batteries on my limited paper route income.
    Tom WA4ILH

N8ZL, N4DJC, N4XRD and 2 others like this.
  10. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

I read sailing, car and investment magazines as well as radio stuff, all of which have opinions about what is the best ____________ ever.

Albeit sometimes interesting, these opinions are invariably written by people who never owned, sailed, drove or operated all of the choices. Or even seen many of them. If there are any Warren Buffett types here, please PM me. We’d all be interested in your perspective. Not so much anyone else’s.

K3EY likes this.