Best 3 element beam?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by VE4BLB, Jan 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. NL7W

NL7W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, the Moseley's are tanks, but I would add my and others' Hy-Gain TH3's are in the same league, too. :)

Oh, install the BN-4000 balun, too.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2009
  2. AA5TE

AA5TE Ham Member QRZ Page

I received a free Mosley TA33-Jr from a local ham. It's construction is very poor compared to my HyGain TH3Mk3. My TH3 has survived snow in New Mexico and massive winds (70MPH) and rain here in TN - not a hurricane, I know, but not bad either. I was able to adjust the SWR down to nearly 1:1 at the center of all 3 bands, and it barely rises to 2:1 near the edges (except on 10M upper end). I've seen TH3's sell for $75, and Mosley's for $50 locally. Not a bad deal if you ask me.

I can no longer find it, but a group of German hams had done some extensive testing on various tribanders and other antennas, and the Mosley and Cushcraft antennas were ranked a little lower (not much, but measurable - we're talking 1/10th's of a dB to 1/2 dB) than HyGain antennas. It also appears that the gain & F/B numbers on Mosley's website are artificially high...

3. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

The A4S has only 3 active elements on any one band (10m has a separate reflector).

vy 73,
    Bryan WA7PRC

4. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

actually, the word "best" was never defined by the originator. "best" could be :gain, size, weight, cost, mechanical strenght, ect.....:rolleyes:

5. NI7I

NI7I Guest

I re0read the original post and wow... it doesnt say 3 active elements.. It say 3 element beam.

6. NI7I

NI7I Guest

You are, of course, right. I would include versatility with the other parameters of "best". When you get right down to it, "best" has a different meaning to almost everybody. That is, I suppose, why we have more than one brand offering the same product.

NI7I

7. NI7I

NI7I Guest

I just finished doing some reading re: the Steppir 3 el. All of the other mentioned antennas (even the 4 element ones) were tribanders. The Steppir is continious 6-20. The gain and f/b ratio is comperable to 4 to 7 element yagi's. It has less wind load. You can get a nice 30/40 mtr dipole add on for it. I had almost decided to get a less expensive traditional Yagi but think that I will go with the steppir.

The cushcraft 7 element beam is around 1100 bux and only gives 3 bands. The Steppir is 1500 but gives you 6 bands. 7 with the 30/40 add on.

The added convenience of making it bidirectional or re3versing directions with the push of a button makes it even more attractive. Since a modest tower (MA 550) is around 3 large after the accessories, an extra 500 bux or so really doesnt make that much of a difference.

Lee
    NI7I

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.