Best 3 element beam?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by VE4BLB, Jan 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KM3F

KM3F Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a used Mosley TA33M up 45 feet and it works the world with good directional on all 3 bands.
    In my opinion forward gain is the most important over side rejection and F/B.
    These antennas are known the world over as good performers.
    If you buy a used one, take the traps apart and look at the coil forms for being broken on an old antenna as the only thing to watch for.
    They are built heavy duty and ice loads in cold temps can break aged coil forms.
    Don't worry about SWR over any bandwidth. It is low enough out to the edges not to make power loss a concern. The diameter of the elements help broaden the match.
    The co. does not actively advertise much and I think the bulk of their activity is making antennas/ hardware for commercial and military.

2. NI7I

NI7I Guest

The people that I have talked to about the SteppIr as a rule, havent had any problems with the "mechanical night mare" you suggest. Cost wasnt a consideration. The quesiton was, "what is the best 3 element beam". That being the only criterion, the SteppIr wins, hands down. It covers all the bands 10 thru 30. You have continious tuning of the actual elements keeping the swr where it needs to be. You can switch directions, 180 degrees with the press of a button. the f/b ratio is better than the mosley. The side rejection is better than almost any yagi. for a 3 element beam the gain is respectable. The mosley that most peopole here are compareing is a 4 element antenna. I just dont see a better 3 element beam on the market.

NI7I

3. K4FX

K4FX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Tri-bander

I have an A4S at 75', worked 300 countries on it, set mid band I can work phone and cw, paid 350 bucks for it new in sealed box. It has been up since Dec 2001 without touching it, I would imagine the first time I touch it again will be to replace it.

The SteppIR is a good antenna, but I would take a Force 12 31XR with separate feedlines for SO2R contesting any day and the F12 new will cost a pretty good bit more than the 3el SteppIR. But it's a 4 el on 15m and 7el on 10 in addition to a 3el on 20m.

It all depends on what your needs are, if warc ain't your thing and contesting is. then IMO the Steppir ain't the best choice.....there is a lot to be said for instant bandswitching.

K4FX

4. W2NSF

W2NSF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Consider one of the Optibeams...

...they're built to last and designed to work.

5. WZ0O

WZ0O Ham Member QRZ Page

Make mine a Mosley. Had a CL-33 up since 85 and just replaced it with a Pro-57. Nothing wrong with the 33 I just wanted 17-and 24 mhz. bands. Oh btw the 57 will also work well on 6M. The only thing replaced on the CL-33 was the trap caps when I took it down.
    Brad
    WZ0O

6. NI7I

NI7I Guest

Did you read the thread title? We are talking 3 element beams... You are comparing apples to oranges.

NI7I

7. AI3V

AI3V Ham Member QRZ Page

I have some experience with large directional antennas used at The Navy relay station on Diego Garcia. I was a transmitter and antenna maintenance tech there.

Some simple facts about Yagi-Uda antennas.

1- Gain is not dependent on the # of elements.

2- Gain IS dependent on the boomlength in wavelengths.

3-The element lengths and spacings that give maximum forward gain, widest VSWR bandwidth, and maximum front/back and front/side ratios- also known as the noise temperature of the antenna- are NOT the same. PICK ANY ONE!:D

4- The Yagi-Uda antenna is a narrowband antenna, They work extremely well on ONE band, as a monobander. As you add frequency coverage, ALL the other parameters of the antenna suffer.

5- Mechanical construction is much,much,much more important than fractions of a DB difference in claimed gain.

Rege

P.S. Did I mention mechanical construction is important?:rolleyes:

8. W4ALJ

W4ALJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Mosley Rules!

I've had a Mosley Classic 33 up in the air without incident for 23 years and I'm the second owner! The Steppir antennas are a fine product and I give them my due--but not my money because any extra gain and the ability to do a 180 are luxuries I can do without at their prices. And, let's face it: if the propogation is right and the signal path is spot on, you're going to work 'em. If it ain't, you ain't no matter what antenna your using.

9. NI7I

NI7I Guest

Your are probably right. However the quewtion wasnt what's the best buy. It was what is the best 3 element beam. Money wasnt part of the equasion. It really doesnt matter much when conditions are great. You can work the world with a 20 foot peice of 3 inch manila hawser soaked in salt water.

Only reason I'm not going to buy a steppir is because I will have spent 3 large on the tower. I'll probably get your mosely.. Well, maybe not yours. woldnt want to get shot takikng it down of your tower. but one like it.

regards
    Lee
    NI7I

10. W0GI

W0GI Ham Member QRZ Page

I had a Mosley and a Cushcraft A3S. The Mosley is a tank and will last a long time.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.