Best 3 element beam?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by VE4BLB, Jan 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

can we get back to the origional question concerning 3 (three) element beams? (instead of "comparing a Mercedes to a Chevy").

2. KJ4IIF

KJ4IIF Ham Member QRZ Page

I am using a Mosley TA-33. For 10,15 and 20 It works fine.
    I do not go to the WARC bands yet so it does all I want of it.

Does it have fantastic rejection? Not as good as a mono-bander.

Does it have forward gain? Yes but not as good as a monobander.

Does it cover three bands and is usable with a medium type rotor?
    Yes.

It all depends on what is best for your operating requirements.

At 75 feet in the air the Mosley I use hears in all directions, and seems to work like a rotateable dipole sometimes, of course when propogation is running anythng is possible.

It works, it is built lke a tank, parts are still available, including the warc traps and 40 meter kits.

Summarize up, get what the budget will allow for your operating preferences and enjoy. Comparing tri banders to tribanders, with a few exceptions (IE the steppir) is like comparing oranges to oranges, alot of different types, mandarin, naval, etc etc but in the end it is still just an orange. Tri banders are like the oranges, perform the same function, just built a little different.

The Mosley is a tank, that is the only tri bander I have owned, the rest of the beams are mono bander home brew.

3. W8HDU

W8HDU Ham Member QRZ Page

I think the truth is, most three element beams are about the same. I think if you had one, and could change it mid-QSO, nobody would notice.

I have a Cushcraft A3S that works as good as the Mosley, so I sold the Mosley and just installed a 1:1 balun on the input to the A3S to smooth out the response.

The big difference you'll find in most commercial beams is their matching method, and the return loss curve over a segment of a band.

4. N9MSH

N9MSH Ham Member QRZ Page

I went through the same debate, was opting for a mosely wait time was too long. the cushcraft was the next runner up-price. The stepper is a good choice but the more i read about their short comings the more i decided that it had too many variables that could go wrong, read some of the reviews of people that replaced them with some of "simpler" antennas. DXpeditions are not long term set ups for reliability. I myself traded a little performance for a simple trapless design of a log periodic which can handle pretty much mother nature can throw at it, easy to repair if something does break.

5. W1OBJ

W1OBJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Best 3 element yagi

If I was to buy a yagi I doubt seriously if I would buy the STEPPIR. I think it works as well as any yagi but the fact that its a mechanical night mare does not suggest any great improvement.
    Its bad enought keeping a basic yagi up for any length of time with out having to bring it down for one thing or another every so often. So what about the mechanical contraption that varies the element lengths.
    The SteppIR is not cheap either, but then nothing is these days.
    I think I would just as soon have the old aluminum yagi and to really go one step further the closed loop quad is far superior to a yagi any day.
    It just seems that the simpler it gets the better it is. Jim W1OBJ

6. YC06GO

YC06GO QRZ Member

I need Help

Dear all friend,

Im newbie and I have Yaesu FT-857D. I want to know what Manual antenna tuner compatible with my Yaesu FT0857D. I need help.

Thank you
    Jhon

7. WA4OTD

WA4OTD Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello Jhon;

You should start a new thread on this topic. This thread is about Best 3 Element Beam.

If I understand any manual antenna tuner should be compatible. Start a new thread and you will get more responses.

Leroy

8. KA5ROW

KA5ROW Ham Member QRZ Page

The Mosley CL-33 is a great tri-band antenna. All holes are pre drilled no measuring. Mosley has on hand every part for every antenna they ever made. So if you drop it, Or the wind blows down your tower you can get replacement parts. I bought my CL.33 used my next antenna will be the Mosley Pro-57 so I can have the WARC bands with the 10,15,20 Meters.

See my mosley at my web page. :D

9. NI7I

NI7I Guest

If money wasnt a problem, I would go with a 3 el SteppIr. When I get a settlement that is in the works that is what will replace my tri band trapped yagi. The people that I have talked with on the air all gave it raves. Any problems are readily solved by their customer service people. The biggest dissadvantage as I see it is the complexity of assembly. It's not rocket science but it is certainlyu a lot more complicated than my Yagi.

Of course, when considering testimonials given by actual users you have to consider the bux factor. That is, they spent the money and will be reluctant to admit that perhaps they would have better spent it on something else..

Again, for me, it's a no brainer. When I have the bux to spend, I'll spend em on a steppir.

rgds
    Lee
    NI7I

10. KB4OIF

KB4OIF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

best 3 element beam

Mosley TA33 or the TA 53M. These are 4 elements not 3. 10,12,15,17, and 20 meters. I have had both of them in the air here in NW Florida and both have performed FAR beyond my expectations. I now run wires because of the hurricanes kept taking them down for me. Can't climb anymore. The classic 33 has been a staple in the ham world for many, many years.

John

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.