Best 2m FM receive?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KE7RUX, Nov 13, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-3
  1. KE7RUX

KE7RUX Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello all. I am interested in what you would consider the best 2m FM receiver or system out there; including ham or commercial transceivers/receivers, or other.
    This post is the result of an increased need to receive weak 2m FM signals for simplex nets that are exercised for the purpose of emergency communications. Thanks & 73

2. K7EA

K7EA Ham Member QRZ Page

Have you considered some antenna upgrades ( height, directionality, better coax) first, before buying new radios? Or a preamp.

VK6APZ, K3XR, K4AGO and 1 other person like this.
  3. KQ0J

KQ0J XML Subscriber QRZ Page

What K7EA said.

I was having a hard time with one or two stations on a regular simplex group so I added a 5 Element beam and TV rotor and that made all the difference
    when there was a weak station in there I could switch over. It also makes YOU louder where they are....

4. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Any 2m FM receiver which covers only 144-148 MHz and has no coverage at all outside the amateur band is likely to outperform, sometimes greatly outperform, receivers that have wider band coverage.

"Sensitivity" isn't even particularly important, as it's very easy to make a VHF receiver extremely sensitive: GaAsFETs and other devices having a noise figure <1.0 dB at 150 MHz cost less than a dollar.:) So, I would not use that as a guiding parameter.

5. KE7RUX

Yes and no.
    Yes, antenna (at highest elevation I can get it without complaints; however I have a collinear omni to receive all the stations around me), coax, and connectors are upgraded,
    No, I don't have a pre-amp.

6. KE7RUX

I have not tried a directional antenna as of yet for VHF.
    I currently have an omni for the purpose of receiving multiple stations concurrently during a net....

7. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

A broadband DC to daylight preamp is usually useless as it will just overload when a nearby transmitter fires up.

K4AGO likes this.
  8. WJ4VA

WJ4VA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

What kind of coax are you using, and how long a run?

N1VAU and K4AGO like this.
  9. N1VAU

N1VAU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, what is your feedline and how long is it, that's where I would start too.

Also how many connectors, of what type and manufacturer. (use Amphenol!)

Hams seem shy away from hardline and N-Connectors, even knowing they out perform coax and PL-259s.

10. N3HGB

N3HGB Ham Member QRZ Page

I would guess any radio that receives 138-170MHz or so would be far inferior to commercial stuff with a narrower receive window or really old ham gear that only did 2 meters. The problem is not sensitivity, it is overloading by nearby signals.

KA0HCP likes this.