Best 2 Meter Coax?

Discussion in 'Youth Forum' started by KJ4HPV, Nov 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KJ4HPV

KJ4HPV QRZ Member

Okay, so which type of coax is the best for 2 meter? The way my antenna is set up, I need to use about 25 feet of coax from my Radio to antenna. Should I look a RG8X for $.29 a foot, or RG213 for $.79 cents a foot, or should I just hop down to Radio Shack and pick up 20 feet of already assembled RG58 for $10.99? I am new to HAM, and Have a Diamond CP22E 2m vertical, and a Yaesu FT-2800, set up as a base radio, but I can't use it because I have no coax, and don't know which I should get. :)
    73's
    Brady KJ4HPV

2. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Ham Member QRZ Page

Grab the lowest loss coax that you feel comfortable in purchasing.
    A lot of people have posted negative remarks on radio shack coax.
    some people like using the small diameter stuff depending oh how they are feeding it into the house. I'm using lmr-240 ultra flex from universal radio.

3. KD8EPC

KD8EPC Ham Member QRZ Page

i would go with at least rg8x i use both rg8 and rg213 ( i have multiple 2 meter antennas) so i owuld recommend some rg8 or 213 but rg8x would be fine. hope this helps welcome to amateur radio . if you need help with anything i cna give advice and such . my email is kd8epc@arrl.net

73 ,

Dustin KD8EPC

4. KC2PMW

KC2PMW Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi,

Belden 9913 is the coax I use. It is about the same size as RG8 and is an excellent performer on VHF/UHF. Hope this is useful.

5. KT4HX

KT4HX Ham Member QRZ Page

Personally I like to go with the best I can afford, and I do recommend LMR-400. While a little more expensive, it has lower loss figures as compared to most of the cables normally utilized by hams. One thing that is on your side is that your cable run is not very long at 25 ft, so your associated signal loss isn't going to be as bad as it would be if you were using a lot longer run. Here are a couple of coax loss calculators that should help you to understand how cable type/frequency/length all combine to make or break your installation. Then of course you have the issue of properly installed connectors - but that's a whole other story!

http://www.timesmicrowave.com/cgi-bin/calculate.pl

http://www.ocarc.ca/coax.htm

6. NN3W

NN3W Ham Member QRZ Page

How much coax do you need?

At 100 feet, RG8X has at least 4.0 dB of attenuation (i.e., cutting your power to the antenna by at leaste half).

I would strongly avoid Radio Shaft coax. Its crap and its over priced.

I'd go with standard RG8, RG213 or 9913. RG8X only if your run is, say, 30 feet or less.

Check out www.therfc.com. Joel (W3RFC) sells LOTS of coax and is very competitive on pricing. His RG213 clear is $0.56 a foot and I like the clear as I can see any problems relating to contamination right in the braid.

Be sure to buy enough to justify the shipping cost (i.e., get at least 100 feet).

Tell him that NN3W told you to call.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2008
    N5NNC likes this.
  7. WS2L

WS2L Guest

If you plan on only operating FM and making local contacts then I would say that any RG8 coax is fine. I would steer far away from RG8X even for short runs like yours, the coax is pure garbage. IF you must buy it from Radioshack then pick up the regular RG8 and you will do just fine.

If you plan on doing SSB & CW then I wouldnt even look at anything below LMR400 but if thats not the issue then don't worry about it.

8. VE6WTF

VE6WTF Ham Member QRZ Page

how much do you need?
    I can send you some of that really expensive crap..
    What is it called?? Heliax? I use it for 10m and seeing as there isnt any 10m activity.. wouldnt mind parting with it

9. K4BNJ

K4BNJ Ham Member QRZ Page

LMR 400 COAX

WHat most run on 2meter or 440 is LMR 400 I sell
    50 ohm LMR 400 type coax. I sell for .65 cents a foot. PL 259's Can be soldered on for 4.00 each if you like.. Buyer to pay actual shipping cost USPS. I ship US 2 to 3 day for 14.00 up tp 100 ft. Pay Pal excepted or USPS money order...

Contact Ben at k4bnj @ hotmail dot com.

Specifications: 50 Ohm
    Center Conductor - mm 2.74 Solid CCA
    Insulation - mm 7.24
    1st Shielding - Bonded Aluminum Foil
    1st Outer Conductor - mm 0.15 x 192 CuSn
    Outer Jacket - mm 10.29
    Min. Bending Radius - mm 25.4
    Tensile Strength - kg 72.5
    Attenuation (20 °C, dB/100 ft)
    30 MHz 0.67
    50 MHz 0.88
    100 MHz 1.31
    150 MHz 1.52
    220 MHz 1.86
    450 MHz 2.71

ANY OTHER QUESTIONS PLEASE EMAIL ME 73's

10. KE7YDQ

KE7YDQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Coax of choice

ARRL's ham radio license manual for technician class has some very good information on coax and supplies a table with losses per 100 ft. at 30MHz and 150 MHz.

It seems that 9913 coaxial cable gives the best performance across all bands without spending the exorbitant prices of higher end cable such as LMR400. In fact, after speaking to Yaesu technical support today on another matter this very topic came up and the conclusion was that 9913 is an excellent performer.

I hope this helps.

73's
    Scott

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.