Bencher BY-2 Question

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by K4SRF, Jun 21, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-2
  1. K4SRF

K4SRF Ham Member QRZ Page

I am "attempting" to use a Bencher BY-2 Paddle with my Icom 7100.

From what I have read, the left paddle is for "dit" and the right for "dah", (or vice-versa if so desired.) I connect the wiring but cannot get any "dit's" at all. No matter how I wire it, one paddle will not produce anything at all.

Since I am new to CW and this particular paddle, is there something I am missing when it comes to using this paddle with an Icom 7100?

I do have a straight key, and this device works as intended.

2. KJ5T

KJ5T Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Take a look at page 4-10 of the Advanced Instructions. You can get the PDF at the following link: https://www.icomamerica.com/en/downloads/default.aspx?Category=468

Apart from a wiring issue you may have the radio configured incorrectly, the page I referenced above talks about setting the Keyer Type, to use the electronic keyer in the radio your Bencher paddles you need to select "Elec-Keyer". Hopefully this helps!

K4SRF likes this.
  3. K5TSK

K5TSK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Multimeter. Must be a 3 wire cable. Check the cable for 'OPEN', end of wire lugs to plug. Could be a faulty 3 wire cable. Verify you have tip, ring, sleeve correct. Hook up paddle and check paddle reads 'SHORT' at the plug when activated, OPEN when not activated. Both sides. Check your rig menu that it's not on straight key. Fix what isn't right. Good luck.

K4SRF likes this.
  4. K4SRF

Somehow, I totally missed this step. This fixed it. I think I missed this step and thought I had done it when I had a incoming phone call that distracted me.

5. K4SRF

Thanks. I did check it with a multimeter to determine the wiring was fine.