ad: elecraft

Below Sea-level DX, eyeball-to-eyeball !

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by Guest, Dec 26, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. Guest

Guest Guest

Dave, KD3V writes ""Operation: Below Sea-Level" was a success in an unexpected fashion on Christmas Day. I wanted to explore a new area of California and chose to drive into the Death Valley National Park. This would not be a lonely trip into that desolate valley because I had along with me my trusty IC-706 'G' "does-everything well enough" rig. :)

I began the drive at 6am and was soon joined on frequency by a number of friends from both California and South Africa. The static level made it hard to reach everyone but we all got our holiday wishes expressed during the 90 minutes that most of us took to gather round the ether and spread some Christmas cheer.

I then took refuge on what I call the "mobile frequency" 14.185 and was joined on this trek of mine into the desolate lands of the desert. I really appreciated being joined on this trek and we had a variety of QSOs along the way. Five hours after departing Hollywood I reached the valley and proceeded down below sea-level in this long dry wasteland which exuded a feeling of "aloneness" like nowhere else I have seen. Twas a beautiful valley but it is not a place to be alone in!

I made a few contacts (those that I could hear) and then shut off the radio to take a closer look at this place called Badwater California. Listed as 282 feet BELOW sea level it does give a feeling like you are walking on the bottom of an old dried up sea. The best part is now I get called (audibly!) by someone who asks in basic english if I am a ham radio operator! Here was Leif Larson, OZ1EZQ, calling me on the eyeball band! He and his family were visiting for the week. So I realized it is possible to work DX from below sea-level!

We exchanged cards with handwritten info about our below sea-level DX contact. We had our picture taken (to be posted as soon as he returns and sends me the scan), and had a brief chat about languages and radio. He spoke only a little english but his daughter was fluent and we had a fine QSO. Leif invited me to visit Denmark and he would provide the lodging while I am there! :)) The making of friends around the world and learning about new cultures is the essence of ham radio for me!

The return trip was equally fun but with real DX! 20 meters was open nicely long path to India! I easily worked VU2RTF, Balu, and later VU2ELJ, Sabu! My little 706 and mag-mounted helical whip got 5-4 and 5-6/7 reports from India on the long path ... again! I have worked Sabu 4 times in recent months from a variety of places and it was a pleasure to have him join me on this trek of mine coming back to Hollywood from the desert.

I spoke to more people along the drive and then was joined by my friends from South Africa and S. Cal. again. We spent about 2 more hours talking while I fought my way back through the "Las Vegas" return traffic down the Cajon Pass. I got off the highway and took a back road home that was not crowded and then settled in to a few QSOs on the local repeaters and told them about this latest adventure that had ham radio involved from beginning to end!

New friends made, old friends and their fine companionship, and a desert adventure made for a very fine day! I really enjoyed sharing the trip with those that joined me on the radio. Too many to list but to thos of you who read this, you will know that I enjoyed your company along the way! Thanks

KDa3Ve (Dave, KD3V)"

2. n7ah

n7ah Ham Member QRZ Page

Dave- nice story. I remember reading someplace sometime ago that Death Valley is indeed an ancient lake bed. I do not know for sure about this, but if you got the feeling it was, then probably it is. It is also knowing that elevation is not required for working DX when the bands are open. Too bad you did not try ten meters, as I have always been curious about elevation effects on ten meters. Have a happy new year. Curt, N7AH

3. K4MLS

K4MLS Ham Member QRZ Page

First of all, great write-up. That's the kind
    of ham radio fun that I like hearing about.</P>

Death Valley has, on several occasions, been
    a body of water. Lakes in the area have been
    anywhere between 30 and 600 feet deep over the
    last 10,000 or so years.</P>

No more, however. Death Valley gets under two
    inches of rain a year. In the summer,
    temperatures average 100 degrees Fahrenheit (37C).
    It's not uncommon for the area to break 125F
    (51C) in the summer. The record high ground
    temperature recorded was 201 degrees Fahrenheit
    with an air temperature of 134 degrees. Hot.
    Very, very hot.</P>

Aside from the heat, Death Valley is known for
    being lowest land elevation in the Americas at 282 feet below sea level at Badwater Basin. The highest point in the Death Valley region is
    Telescope Peak at 11,049 feet. That's a difference
    of more than two miles.</P>

Death Valley is a very interesting place. Just
    make sure your car's air conditioner works and
    you have plenty of water before heading out. Even
    in the dead of winter, the average temperature
    doesn't get much below 60F.</P>

Matt (k4mls)</P>

4. N4ZN

N4ZN Ham Member QRZ Page

Have worked Great Britan from Devils Canyon in S. Cal, only somewhere around 30 ft or so below sea level... but the canyon walls are very close (40 ft), and hundreds of feet over head.

5. N4ZN

N4ZN Ham Member QRZ Page

unless the sun is down

6. KD6HDX

KD6HDX Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice article on Death Valley. I have hiked Telescope peak. I carried with me an old Yaesu FT-470 Dual Band HT. I was able to work the Upper Mt. Potosi repeater near Las Vegas. Cell phone coverage was also available from those altitudes.

As far as the temperature not getting much colder than 60 degrees or so, remember that Telescope peak is covered with snow during the winter months. Although the valley floor may be warm and cozy. The temps at the peak and lower campgrounds can quickly change.

I was able to make several contacts while sitting at the top of telescope peak. With 1 watt VHF and UHF, I was working repeaters in Utah, Nevada, California (bay area) and San diego area as well.

I also made a simplex contact into Arizona on 5 watts. The top of this peak is the second highest peak in the continental United states. I will go back someday with an FT-817 or something bigger. The hike takes about 4 hours up for average people. About 3 hours down. There is not much there on the peak but a few patches of broken rock. Almost a lunar landscape. I am hoping to go back someday and issue some real rare grid squares and QSL cards from there.

Winter hiking / climbing here requires ice gear and crampons, ice axes and cold weather gear. I went in June and wore shorts and carried all the water I could. there are no sevices up there. just a log book at the trail head for the rangers to check.

Good luck to anyone interested in this hike. I could see the badlands from that vantage point. As well as being able to see Mt. Whitney.

I hope to post an article or story when I am planning the trip. Maybe like my own sort of DX-pedition.

73 and Happy New Year to all....

Dave KD6HDX

7. W7RLL

W7RLL Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree that this is a very good and well written article. This is what "hamming" is all about.
    I do think that KD6HDX may want to check his facts concerning the ranking of Telescope Peak's height.
    At 11,000 + feet it is well down on the list of highest peaks in conus. There are 70 peaks in the lower 48 of 14,000' or more in height. I will concede that Telescope may be among the tallest from base to summit, so I will be looking forward to an article about DXing from that lofty height in the future.
    73 Lee KD7IBK

8. VK2GWK

VK2GWK Ham Member QRZ Page

Did you know that over 50 % of the hams in PA-land live below sealevel? Some real DX-chances for you.

9. K7NRA

K7NRA Ham Member QRZ Page

Howdy!

While travelling on vacation recently I made contact with a six call who claimed to be the only full time resident of Death Valley! He is a care taker for a ghost town owned by a private corporation, and runs a solar system for all his needs.

Mike

10. WA5ACE

WA5ACE Ham Member QRZ Page

Interesting comments.

Where can I find the information regarding the record temperature you mentioned in your reply? 200+ degrees is mighty hot!

Would appreciate your source of information. Many thanks and 73.

Sonny,
    WA5ACE

11. K4MLS

K4MLS Ham Member QRZ Page

Where can I find the information regarding the record temperature you mentioned in your reply? </P>

Here is an article that mentions the 200-degree ground temperature. In this NASA article you can find more information about record highs in Death Valley. If you do a Google search for "death valley" and "record temperature", you will find many references to keep you entertained.</P>

Matt (k4mls)</P>

12. KQ6XA

KQ6XA Ham Member QRZ Page

When visiting Death Valley National Park, be sure to drive up to the top of Dante's View. It is one of the best mobile or pedestrian DX locations in the area.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.