Behringer XM8500 mic and Yaesu radios with Parametric EQ

Discussion in 'Microphones, Speakers & Audio Processing' started by KE0EYJ, Jan 5, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ Ham Member QRZ Page

K4RKY likes this.
  2. KW6LA

KW6LA Ham Member QRZ Page

Quite a nice surprise for $ 20.00. Enjoy and Happy New Year.

3. VE3TMT

VE3TMT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Great mic!

4. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I've changed the settings around a bit, thanks to the discovery of an issue with the "BAR" s-meter I had selected on the FTDX3000. I suggest avoiding it, if you want accurate COMP meter and ALC meter readings.

What that said, thanks to some notes from AB2UE, and some adjustments, I've better tweaked the sound of the FTDX3000 with the XM8500 (and am no longer exceeding the ALC).

KW6LA likes this.
  5. KC3SWL

KC3SWL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I use the Behringer XM8500 on my Kenwood TS870.. Should hear it one day .... it's freaking great for 20 bucks.
    Now I added a used Shure SM58 to my shack for half cost and will receive it later in the week. I am interested to see how it will compare to the Behringer.
    The ALC is hard to tame sometimes depending how close I talk to the mic. So now I just try to keep the mic gain low and comp high enough to kick the alc indicator.

6. KC3RN

KC3RN Ham Member QRZ Page

I use the XM-8500 with my FT-450 with great results. I've used numerous SM-58's in live sound applications, along with the 8500. What I've found is that the 8500 has slightly more output than the 58. It's actually closer to the Beta 58 in that respect. The high end is also a little more forward in the 8500, so the articulation is slightly better. However, the feedback resistance is better on the 58. That's a consideration for live sound work, but really a non-issue for radio.

I've also compared the 8500 to several other mics with my 450 - SM-57, AT-ST-90, and a few others. The only mic that responded better than the 8500 was my AKG D-5. However, the D-5, like the SM-58, is 5 times the price of the Behringer. The performance (in radio applications) is just not five times better.

7. KC3SWL

Ah well for the price I figured it wasn't a big expense to expand the mic collection and try something different. I also use a TS430 so at the very least I have two pretty good mics for the rigs. I have a low voice so evening that out to hit the peak of the bandwidth and not losing half my audio is important.
    I read up on the XM8500 and everyone said it was a great mic. I agree.
    I also read up on the SM58 and it too is highly rated.I didn't want to plunk down 100 + for one so I looked around for used mics. I can always sell it if I don't like it . Or maybe I'll just use it on my TM2550A :D

8. KC3SWL

I got my Shure SM58 the other day . I tried it out on the TS70 and there is a difference. My midrange is more noticeable on the SM58 than it was on the XM8500. I like the way it sounds even more than my Behringer if that's even possible.
    Using monitor and a dummy load I was testing it and I found I had to drop my compression down and cut the mic gain back a bit with the new mic , I think due to the fuller sound with more midrange coming out.

I have some friends close by that maybe I can do an A to B comparison. Should be interesting to hear the results.