Behringer Microphone XM8500

Discussion in 'Microphones, Speakers & Audio Processing' started by KX5ALC, Jul 18, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-2
  1. KX5ALC

KX5ALC Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank ya kindly, Sir! Lots to learn in his journey, that's for sure.

2. KC9LOO

KC9LOO Ham Member QRZ Page

As an old feller, I did not want to go through all the chasing down all the connectors and soldering, I just went with the Heil XLR-B cable that was already made up.

I am easy in my old age, :p:p.

KU4X, WA3GWK and KX5ALC like this.
  3. KX5ALC

I "get" that!

4. KM3F

KM3F Ham Member QRZ Page

I settled on this mike several yeas ago on a boom using out board EQing and speech processing.
    We only have about 3000 hertz to talk through so the mike is not at all a limiting factor.
    It does have cartridge shock isolation.
    The output level is quite high an not a lot of gain is required.
    A radio shack model is almost identical in performance but has no cartridge isolation.
    Can't tell the difference between the two on the air.
    Both have more than enough Base response down below 100 hz where we don't need it, and both have enough high end.
    It's just a matter of EQing to your voice and filling in the low, mid and high ends to suit if you want to improve your audio to the ears of others.

KX5ALC likes this.
  5. AD5MD

AD5MD Ham Member QRZ Page

I used it with my old mic boom

KX5ALC likes this.
  6. KX5ALC

Never thought I'd be interested in a mic boom, but with something like the Behringer, it makes total sense.

7. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I used the XM8500 on my FTDX3000. No outboard processing is necessary, at all. Don't buy an EQ for it. I'll let you know my settings, if interested.

KX5ALC likes this.
  8. KX5ALC

Thanks. If I end up getting the radio I'm looking for and the 8500, I'll do just that. Much appreciated.

9. WA3VJB

WA3VJB Ham Member QRZ Page

It depends on your operating logistics. I come from places where mics are routinely boomed, in order to get to scripts, board pots, and computer keyboards. Not only does a boom help realize optimum height so that your voice box is not physically constrained (shoulders back, sit up straight!), but it also helps you get to your radios and audio controls while making a transmission. People who are more accustomed to hand mics and a mobile setting don't see the advantage right away, and that's understandable.

Attached Files:

KX5ALC likes this.
  10. KX5ALC

Well that makes sense to me.