Behringer Microphone XM8500

Discussion in 'Microphones, Speakers & Audio Processing' started by KX5ALC, Jul 18, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KX5ALC

KX5ALC Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm on a hunt for an HF base radio. I "think" I've narrow it down to the Yaesu FT450D. The only negative I've ever read about it is the factory supplied mic is far less stellar than the radio and is one thing that should be replaced as soon as one can. Pretty strong words, but I've read them in several reviews.

I've always considered microphones as important a part of a radio as anything else. So I've tried to keep my ears open as I've delved into this new ham journey. I've read so much about the Behringer XM8500 that I've kept a link to the manufacturer's website so I won't forget about it.

Have any of you had any experience with the XM8500 and would you know if it would fit the Yaesu FT450D? I don't know how many pins are on the connector or how things are wired...........hence the question.

2. AD5MD

AD5MD Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, I have one and used it on my FTDX-3000. I have the W2IHY 8 Band EQ & EQ+ and it gave me good audio. It uses a 3 pin XLR connector so you will need the adaptor, a cable with XLR and appropriate connector that goes into the FT-450D. You will also need a foot or hand switch to activate the PTT.

KX5ALC likes this.
  3. KX5ALC

Thanks for that. Do you have it on a stand or in a shock mount cage?

Last edited: Jul 18, 2021
  4. KC3RN

KC3RN Ham Member QRZ Page

KX5ALC likes this.
  5. KX5ALC

Thanks for that, KC3RN, I'll check into those if/when I find a 450D I can afford.

6. KC3RN

KC3RN Ham Member QRZ Page

The 450D is a great radio to cut your teeth on. I sold mine when I bought a 7300, but I wish I had kept it. The 7300 is a nice rig, but the 450 had a couple of features that are missing on the 7300. In my case it was the CW spot feature and the Contour control. You can set the Contour to "Peak" which can really bring out weak signals. You can't do that on a 7300.

KX5ALC likes this.
  7. KC9LOO

KC9LOO Ham Member QRZ Page

I have an 8500, use it on my FTDX 3000. I got my XLR cable from R&l, works great. I use a PTT switch and the mic is on a boom mount.

Best price for the 8500 + free shipping is from Sweetwater.

KX5ALC likes this.
  8. WA3VJB

WA3VJB Ham Member QRZ Page

The specs look good on the dynamic XM8500, and it compares well to longtime professional favorites such as the Shure SM58, which it resembles.
    The price is amazing, and probably will put a certain vendor of hammy hambone microphones further into retirement. One thing I would recommend in an RF environment is a type of microphone interconnecting cable known as "star quad," pioneered by the brand name Canare, but today also marketed by a number of competitors. The wiring of the cable has excellent outer braid covrerage to shield against stray RF fields getting into your audio, which is more likely if you use an amp, less so for just the transceiver power level. The conductors are also of a distinct design, having two wires for each of the balanced circuit (four total). The pairs are wound in a twisted manner, providing an additional layer of RF rejection. It's a professional product (and it's not cheap) that gives excellent performance in hostile RF environments like news conferences, where AC lines and wireless mics are right next to the cables. Pre-made cables are out there with balanced connectors, but I presume you will need a connector specific to the Yaesu at one end, and at the mic end, the standard XLR. Perhaps a good project to get the connectors, a piece of cable cut to the length you need (you can get just the wire), and solder it all together. If you do so, XLR Pin 2 is the high side to its mate on the Yaesu, with Pin 3 being low side. Keeps the mic in phase. Positive air pressure on the mic diaphragm creates a positive initial sinewave on the mic's electrical output.

DAVE457 and KX5ALC like this.
  9. KX5ALC

WHEW! Lot's of "Greek" in that explanation for a Technician like myself. :confused: But I'll copy and keep it for when the time comes to get it. Thanks, though. Gotta learn somewhere.

10. WA3VJB

WA3VJB Ham Member QRZ Page

Ach, sorry, didn't mean any heavy technical rap.

Here's the jist: Good mic. Get a good cable and a set of connectors. See a diagram as to how your Yaesu pins are assigned. Others on here pointed out the need to have a way to key the transmitter, probably using pins within the same connector that will carry the audio from the mic to the input of the transceiver. That'll be a different piece of wire, or two wires.

The audio "wire" is what I was describing. Taking care with your soldering, and how you dress the conductors (make them pretty) can avoid problems when you go on the air with this new mic.

It's a fun pursuit, although a little daunting at first. If you don't know how to solder, read up and practice on something besides expensive connectors and premium wires. Then you will know when you've done good work on the actual project.

Good luck!

KX5ALC likes this.