ad: Radclub22-1

Behringer 8500 connectivity to Kenwood TS-590SG help

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by M3AIN, Nov 28, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-BCInc
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-3
  1. M3AIN

M3AIN QRZ Member

I'm about to venture into the realms of XLR Microphone's, but need some assistance as to what to purchase.

First of all, I've got my heart set on a Behringer 8500 mic' because it's inexpensive & gets excellent reviews. This is a 3 pin XLR microphone.

Is it simply a matter of connecting this to the TS-590SG microphone socket via these, or do I also require a mixer (mixing desk)?

https://www.thomann.de/gb/behringer_xm8500.htm?ref=mobile

https://www.dxengineering.com/parts/hls-cc-1-xlr-k

https://www.dxengineering.com/parts/hls-hs-2

Many thanks.

2. G0GSR

G0GSR Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, the '590 is designed to use a dynamic type microphone. (like the 8500)
    But isn't buying simple, pre-made cables and PTT switch an expensive option?

Frank

M3AIN likes this.
  3. M3AIN

M3AIN QRZ Member

Hello Frank,

Thank you for the reply.

I agree, it's an expensive option as opposed to making my own, but I just haven't got much time on my hands.

All the aforementioned can be bought for ~£100, anyway, so it's not too big a dent on my wallet.

Can you think of anything else I might need, and also, do you have any suggestions for any other XLR mic' that's pretty good for future reference?

4. KD3YT

KD3YT Ham Member QRZ Page

I have the exact same setup on my 590sg and it works great! Still playing with the mike settings but out of the box am getting good reports. The only things I might change is the PTT switch. May change it to a foot switch.

M3AIN likes this.
  5. M3AIN

M3AIN QRZ Member

That's good to know.

Do you use one of the preset EQ settings, or have you altered the parameters via PC?

This Behringer 8500 gets far too many exceptional reviews, so for the price of a decent meal I'd be a fool to ignore it.

6. G0GSR

Well, I bought one to try it and compared to more expensive microphones, its pretty mediocre.
    You actually DO get what you pay for.
    However, it is a big improvement over the awful Kenwood hand mic.

Regarding equaliser settings, HB1, HB2 or c will get you close but have a play with the "user" equaliser. Open up the TX bandwidth so you can hear its effects.
    Don't forget that the "COMP" adds a lot of distortion and gives additional high boost. I really wish it didn't :-(

Frank

M3AIN likes this.
  7. G0GSR

This deserves a separate reply.

Most definitely the Electrovoice RE20. Go and price one, then have a laugh :)

Frank

M3AIN likes this.
  8. KC9LOO

KC9LOO Ham Member QRZ Page

I do not have the 590. I do have the 8500 hooked to my FT 3000 and it works great. I used a ready made cable from Heil as I can no longer solder.
    I got the one with hand switch, I do not like a foot switch, but mostly use the radios vox. My radio room is quiet. I get great audio reports with this mic.

At the price it is a great bargain.

M3AIN likes this.
  9. KM3F

KM3F Ham Member QRZ Page

The 8500 does not have PTT on th mike with only three leads available so you have to provide that function.
    The PTT/cable can be done from a jack in the rear. Consult the owner manual for the jack and pin.
    Foot switch, hand switch as you like.
    I use a hand switch with switching built into a small project box equivelent to a computer smaller mouse size.
    On th box is a push on/off switch, two momentsry switches as desired for top or side activation. Along with the PTT switches is a mini toggle switch to operste he internal keyer dot side for tune up of amplifer and tuner in CW mode.
    I also can use VOX. You would need to set mike gain and hang time for that function.
    The 8500 has plenty of output level.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2021