ad: vanity

Behavior in pileups

Discussion in 'The DX Zone' started by N5CM, Feb 8, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I'd wager that a LOT of the problem is people who don't actually "copy" Morse trying to use some computer program to copy, merely tuning in based on reading a "spot report" of a DX station. They have no idea who the DX is actually calling or what he's saying or how he's working the pileup... all they hear are zillions of "beeps" while staring at a computer screen displaying gibberish because nothing is decoding. So they just keep on sending their call sign hoping to see it come back in the display.

I hear what sounds like exactly that, happening all the time in CW pileups.

But you can never convince folks starting threads about "which is the best CW decoder to use" that the HUMAN BRAIN is the best CW decoder and all the software programs and hardware gizmos are pretty much junk "in the real world of radio"

Dave
    W7UUU

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    W5BIB, WC5P, W9JEF and 7 others like this.
  2. N3PM

N3PM Ham Member QRZ Page

[QUOTE="KQ9J,

If it is just up 1 or 2 or 5 I just activate the TX "Clarifier" and after the DX puts out a call, I push the RX Clarifier button for a second and quickly tune for the answering station. When I release the RX Clarifier I am set to transmit where the DX left off.

Thanks. I usually use the TXW but will try this.
    I miss using my FT2000.
    Guess we're both waiting for the FTdx5000 to go on sale.
    Mike N3PM

3. W7DCM

W7DCM Ham Member QRZ Page

At times it can also make for a good filter!

W7UUU likes this.
  4. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

The behaviors of 1. calling blindly on some random frequency or 2. poorly timed calling long predates the no-code license op being unable to copy CW. Many of us licensed for decades can attest to the fact it isn't a new phenomenon and existed well before Morse capability was eliminated as a license prerequisite.
    Calling on some frequency other than where the DX is listening is a waste of time. As is calling at the wrong time. Both serve only to generate QRM.

What is astonishing today is that with contemporary equipment which makes split operation so easy, these people can't even figure out which VFO to transmit on.

5. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Be quick on the VFO A/B button :) I don't know much about fone pileups but you often find him walking up on CW. It seems you rarely find them walking down-haha
    Step 1. Listen. Figure out his pattern.
    Step 2. Work him
    :)

6. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

These days some stations will specify the split on CW and listen precisely where they say! No need to guess, just listen!

7. N5CM

N5CM Ham Member QRZ Page

My old TS-440S has two VFOs. When I get into a pileup, I tune the "A" VFO to the frequency of the DX op. Then I press the "SPLIT" button which designates the "B" VFO as the one on which I transmit. Next is the "A=B" button, which sets both VFOs to the same frequency. Next, I press and hold the "T-F SET" button (which acts as a momentary switch like a doorbell button) and tune to where I hope the DX op will hear my blazing 100-watts-from-a-wire-in-a-pine-tree signal. Once I'm tuned to my desired transmit frequency on VFO B, I release the "T-F SET" button. This process takes a whole lot lot longer to describe via a keyboard than it does to execute it.

If the DX op comes back with my call, then that's it. If not, I'll listen a bit by pressing the (momentary) "T-F SET" button to listen for for a DXer transmitting back to the DX op and tune "B" VFO on the DXer's frequency or a little above or below the DXer's frequency depending upon where I think the DX op will strike next.

After a while, this little process becomes second nature.

I use headphones as that helps me hear the DX op whose signal at my end isn't, for whatever reason, stellar. Along those lines, I'm frequently impressed with DX ops with weak signals here who are able to pull out my weak signal there.

Good luck, and get on CW.

Vy 73 es gud DX,

John

8. WA8UEG

WA8UEG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have only been a ham for 55 years but I think it has gotten much worse today then it was 15 years ago and seems to only get worse every year. Hams that don't know code using readers that only get 10% and the ops don't have a clue. Also just flat out poor operating, they get so excited they just send and hope, never listen yet others don't know how to operate split let alone use dual receive if they have it. On phone it's mostly just flat poor operators or ops that get their jollies out of QRM'ing and hoping someone acknowledges them, sounds strange but that's how they get their jollies, sad but true.

9. K1LKP

K1LKP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

10. K1LKP

K1LKP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page