Behavior in pileups

Discussion in 'The DX Zone' started by N5CM, Feb 8, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

Fine. The antennas will still be over 70' away (above). :p

2. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

When you have a certain segment of the population who grew up with no effective discipline in the home or in school why would you expect them to change their behavior when it comes to DX pileups?
    Complain about it all you like, expect to make any changes...not likely.

W2AAT, N4UP and WA7PRC like this.
  3. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

Look at it this way - if idiots didn't abound in pileup, we wouldn't learn to use all the fancy filters we have.

Even idiots serve a purpose, if only to serve as an example of what NOT to do.

WA7PRC likes this.
  4. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

In particular, the grey matter filter. :)

AD5HR likes this.
  5. W7DCM

W7DCM Ham Member QRZ Page

I've been able to crack pileups by correctly guessing the split. I'm one of those 100 watts and a wire guys.

Your advice on propagation is sound...….I've returned to pileups and cracked them when half the continent can't get in due to the band closing for them.

N0TZU, K7MH, AA6YQ and 1 other person like this.
  6. N5CM

N5CM Ham Member QRZ Page

Here's one I failed to mention in the original post, although it's not an issue for me.

Yesterday, I'm listening to a DX pileup. I sent my call a few time, but no joy. After 10 or 15 minutes, the DX op decides to go QRT and conveys that information to the pileup, says thanks and 73. The DX op sent the phrase QRT several times prior to tnx es 73.

Several of the send-my-call-continuously crowd kept right on sending their calls for several minutes after the DX op had pulled the plug. It was at once funny and sad.

W5BIB likes this.
  7. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm always amazed by how many humans are somehow surprised by human behavior.

WE4E likes this.
  8. NQ1B

NQ1B Ham Member QRZ Page

I've heard this suggestion before but have not figured out how to do it with my single radio SO2V setup, no panadapter. I can't listen to the DX and the guys calling the DX at the same time. What's the trick to it?

I have seen a number of experienced DXers say that you need to figure out where the DX is working (is he staying in one spot up 5? Moving between 5 up and 10 up? Etc.) and then call him there. But I don't see how to do that without hearing the DX and the guy he calls at the same time.

WU8Y and KQ9J like this.
  9. W7DCM

W7DCM Ham Member QRZ Page

Anyone who hangs around me long enough will eventually hear me say that man is evolving into ape.

K3XR likes this.
  10. KQ9J

KQ9J Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I do it a couple of ways with my FTdx3000. If it's a big split, like over 10 kHz, I use the VFO A/VFO B mode and after the DX station says "QRZ" or "Up" I push the "TX watch" button so I can tune around for the reply then release it and I am transmitting where the DX heard the last station. I usually tune off frequency just a little, or try to figure out if there is a pattern i.e. what direction the DX is tuning. Some go up then move back down; others jump all over the place.

If it is just up 1 or 2 or 5 I just activate the TX "Clarifier" and after the DX puts out a call, I push the RX Clarifier button for a second and quickly tune for the answering station. When I release the RX Clarifier I am set to transmit where the DX left off.

(I have found the spectrum scope or an outboard panadapter doesn't really help because some stations NEVER stop calling and you don't know which "blip" is the one the DX is actually working!)

A radio with 2 receivers would be much easier for those born with only two arms :p

N3PM likes this.