ad: elecraft

Beginner to SDR

Discussion in 'Software Defined Radio (SDR)' started by K8TDN, Mar 25, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, it may become an issue in the medium and long term.
    Looks like you came around in the same post.

All it may take is an OS service pack. As time goes by, the chances of unsupported software not working properly only increases.

It may never be an issue if one changes radios and/or computers every couple of years, or if the dollar figures involved are negligible to the user affected.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2019
  2. K8TDN

K8TDN Ham Member QRZ Page

WOW..I didn't know watching YouTube made you an IDIOT...Thanks fot the compliment..I am pretty sure Gordon and many other Older established HAMS have watched YouTube and have gotten some information from the use. But I guess you are just so smart you don't.

Terry K8TDN

N7UJU likes this.
  3. N3AWS

N3AWS Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Terry K8TDN:

I know many hams who own the IC-7300 and all are very happy with their choice.

If have not already done so, I suggest you read the ARRL review of the IC-7300 in the August 2016 issue of QST. Steve Ford, WB8IMY, and others do a great job of presenting why this rig is a "game changer." When introduced 2 or 3 years ago, the price was around $ 1,500 US but quickly dropped. Now they list for less than $ 1,000 US brand new and covered by warranty. I cannot see that you would go wrong with this superb rig!

Jim N3AWS

4. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

In LJW's defense he was not necessarily slamming you or anyone else watching Youtube. I think he was merely warning to be careful. There is lots of deception and or misinformation on Youtube. Only an Idiot would view it as a bible.

5. KF5LJW

KF5LJW Ham Member QRZ Page

Not what I said. Most of the content on You Tube is made by idiots and pretenders.

6. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

Not just YouTube, the internet.

Abe Lincoln was right when he said not believe everything you see on the internet. I was not his contemporary, obviously, but I read it on the internet that he said that. If you filter the information, and use some common sense, you are OK.:rolleyes:

7. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I would enter the SDR world slowly myself rather than immerse oneself in something quite different than the old analog radios we are familiar with. I picked up and SDRplay receiver to play around with. It is interesting but tuning around and band hopping is a bit different. I'm not ready to make the jump to an SDR transceiver. Maybe in the future.

8. AE8W

AE8W Ham Member QRZ Page

I refer to them as the "geniuses on youtube". Youtube does have quite the collection of information. Some are sites that you wish you had never seen, others are a "well okay then ... " either I will never do that OR sumabitch I will try that! I have watched young Russian guys play with magnetron in the wild :eek: to the guy that showed me how adjust my door hinges so the doors don't stick:) ... not to mention the plethora of ham related videos.

To that last point and back on topic-ish, search on youtube for flex (as you must have) as well as other manufacturers such as sunsdr (I own one of these:cool:) as well as other manufacturers. I have used youtube to learn about all sorts of keys (as in CW), microphones .. you name it.

K8TDN and N3AWS like this.
  9. K6BRN

K6BRN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Best advice on this thread so far: Get an Icom IC-7300. Compact/portable/easy to use, not dependent on any particular operating system, reliable and proven. Still in production, easy to get new or used at reasonable prices. A genuine direct RF sampling DSP/SDR radio - fits the O.P.'s desires.

This is really a no-brainer. Flex radios are very nice - but not built for portability. They usually REQUIRE an external computer and speaker (and sometimes really need an audio amp). IC-7300s are seen in portable operation all the time. For a reason. And they are direct digital sampling DSP/SDR radios, with built-in sound card, speaker, front panel, etc., which makes then convienient. Easy to "grab and go" at a moments notice.

BTW - I do NOT own an Icom IC-7300 - but I've used them and seen them in action... pretty much everywhere. They're like can openers - small, very useful, found everywhere and just work. My travel radio is a Yaesu FT-991.

As much as I like Flex, the thought of all the cables and external gear I would have to lug around with them for portable ops, plus their requirement of a computer that is specifically configured for them (in most cases) and their large physical size says "bring a trunk to the portable party". NOT what I want to do when travelling.

Brian - K6BRN

10. K8TDN

K8TDN Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks Brian...this is what I think I am going to do. It is the best of both to me...knobs like a regular radio but SDR for updates and added features in the futhue. Thanks again for the reply.

73 Terry k8tdn