Beginner to SDR

Discussion in 'Software Defined Radio (SDR)' started by K8TDN, Mar 25, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. K8TDN

K8TDN Subscriber QRZ Page

Thinking of going to SDR for portable and vacationing. Thinking of getting a Flex 1500. The reason for this is lower cost of initial setup. I have watched YouTube it seems like this would work for my situation and let me know if it is for me at a lower cost. Thinking I could sell or trade for one.

What is the pros and cons of the 1500...please giver me real world inout.

Terry k8tdn

2. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

The ones that come to mind right away.

Pro: Affordable SDR transceiver.

Cons:

1) Discontinued. Support may become an issue in the future. Without software support, it's a brick;
    2) Low power. The current prop conditions make it tougher to enjoy hamming;
    3) Limited panadapter view. The beauty of SDR reception is the potential wide panadapter BW.

3. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

On the internet ?

I thought every thing was fake news here...

Every thing is the best if it is up for sale. :rolleyes:

K8TDN likes this.
  4. VA3VF

That's right!

I mentioned this before. On eHam, there was a guy selling 'the best radio in the world'.

The following day or two, after said radio was sold, the same guy posted a review saying that said radio was the worst thing he had ever owned.

As Abe Lincoln said: don't believe everything you see on the internet.

K8TDN likes this.
  5. K8TDN

I thank you for your time and input. I was going to consider the 3000 but it is discontinued also...may maybe get a 7300 sdr with knobs

6. K6GB

K6GB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have both, like both. The 1500 has a large fiddle factor, especially getting it set up for digital modes, so you will have some learning to do, but for phone and cw it's plug and play. For an everyday rig I really like my 7300, but it also has a few things to learn up on.

K8TDN likes this.
  7. VA3VF

I have an IC-7300. I like it very much, and it's not for sale.:D

I think the IC-7300 is a very good 'compromise' as far as SDR radios go. One does not have the unlimited options of a 100% black box software dependent SDR, but also is not a 'hostage' to the same black box 'brick', if software is no longer supported. The 'knobed' side of the radio is still operational, longer after the end of software support.

KA9JLM and K8TDN like this.
  8. W2WDX

W2WDX Subscriber QRZ Page

So because the software is not supported, somehow that's a downside? The software that is out there for older models is just fine, works and is mature. Also, the older Flex models can use the KE9NSJ PowerSDR software which is is updated and improved regularly.

The notion that hardware becomes obsolete because software is not supported anymore is just for sheep following the herd to new purchases. Discontinued software support is only advantageous to the manufacturer, not the user. The hardware is still the same and the existing software works. (The only real exception to this is with an OS).

For portable operation the 1500 is a good choice.

WD0BCT likes this.
  9. K8TDN

I thank you all for inputs and I deceided on the Stanalone Elad FDM_DUO..best of both...I can go QRP portable and also use computer when I want. Also the user group is pretty informative.

10. KF5LJW

KF5LJW Ham Member QRZ Page

Good ole You Tube, the idiots Bible.

WD0BCT likes this.