Begali vs. Begali

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by R2ABT, Aug 6, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. R2ABT

R2ABT Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello everyone,

I tried to find reviews comparing different Begali products, but it seems there are only comparisons of Begali with other paddles, not between different Begali models. It would be interesting to find out the experience of users of several Begalies. What is better, HST or Signature, Stealth or Sculpture, and so on? Or does the price say enough, i.e. every Begali is fine, but the more you pay, the better quality you get? I am currently using Palm Radio Pico Paddle both for travel and home shack CW, but it is time to put something more serious at the table. My present speed is about 17-20 WPM, but hopefully I will increase it step by step.

Thank you.

Peter
    R2ABT

2. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hello Peter. There is a new Forum titled "Straight Keys - CW Enthusiast" just started a few days ago. You might get a quicker answer on that forum. (it's a forum for all Morse operators) :) You'll find the new forum at the bottom of "Ham radio discussions"
    77 es 73
    W5BIB

Last edited: Aug 6, 2015
  3. N4IAG

N4IAG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Peter, I own their least expensive paddle and like it so well that it's probably the last key I'll ever own. But, I'm like you and wonder exactly how much better those other pricy models may be. LOL

Of course there are reviews on eHam of their various models, but hopefully others may show up here that own or have tried several of their models, and give their opinion.

4. K4YND

K4YND Ham Member QRZ Page

Peter,
    I own the Simplex Pro and the Signature. Both work flawlessly. the signature is a magnetic paddle and has a large base. It is a absolute work of art ( I have close ups on my QRZ page). The simplex pro gives you more feedback as your send the code and there is a faint little click as you engage the paddles. For me the aluminum finger pieces are a must, they really feel good. I send about the same speed you do. At our speed it is more a matter of what feels good and we enjoy using. Also give N3ZN a look. They work just as well. I guess to sum it up at our speed they all work perfectly. the 30-50 wpm guys may be able to tell differences, but I doubt I will ever make it past 25wpm

K4YND

AG6QR and W5BIB like this.
  5. KB2FCV

KB2FCV Ham Member QRZ Page

I have had one or two occasions to compare the Signature vs other Begalis... at Dayton where there was a number to choose from and when I brought it to a friend's house I was visiting who had the Pearl. You really can't go wrong with any choice. I'd love to see how their really high end keys feel to see if I can tell the difference but frankly I am very satisfield with the one I have now.. it's the main operating paddles here.

6. WA7DU

WA7DU Ham Member QRZ Page

The variations in the Begali family of keys and keyers are not a matter of quality. There are differences in the mechanisms, and those differences dramatically affect the "feel" of a key or keyer. "Feel" is a very subjective attribute. What "feels" right to one user may be less pleasing to another, and vice versa.

I have had the opportunity to evaluate four different Begali keys and keyers, and what I "felt" from one to another was never that a compromise in quality had been made. To me, the difference in price within the Begali family is a matter of aesthetics, which again is subjective. What you find visually appealing and "mechanically" pleasing is likely to be different for another user.

If a particular Begali key is within your dollar budget, and a "test drive" revealed no incompatibility, I think you will be happy using it long term.

7. AG6QR

AG6QR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

They're all good. As prices change, some of what you pay for is quality of finish -- the external beauty. And some of what you pay for is changes in the internal mechanisms, and contacts -- the performance. Also, there are different models that vary considerably in their size and weight, which may be a consideration depending on how you want to use the unit. Heavy is good on a desk, but light is good in a travel bag. If you have specific questions, you can certainly ask here or in the "Straight keys - CW enthusiast" forum, but you can also e-mail Begali directly, at the address on their web site. My experience is that they're friendly and helpful, and will gladly explain differences.

W5BIB likes this.
  8. R2ABT

R2ABT Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you all for your replies and time spent to write them, it was a real help, and the opinions I saw helped me in a way. I now firmly believe this community to be well responsive and helpful. I now have more info on the matter.

Since the time I've posted this, I have already tried and experienced the Leonessa Begali key at my friend's place (UA3LMR), but I'm pretty interested in Stradivarius and will seek ways to try it out prior to buying. I do believe it's a matter of personal liking, just like you've said. Thanks again!

Stay well, and 73!

Peter
    R2ABT

9. N2UGB

N2UGB Ham Member QRZ Page

I am late in commenting here. Your decision probably made. My only Begali product is the straight key, Camelback model. Definitely a desk-top key as it weighs a ton. That weight keeps it immobile. Has the best "feel" and response of all my keys. I do have a Navy "flameproof" key. Lighter, it also has a comfortable response quality.

10. K2XT

K2XT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

My first Begali was the magnetic classic. It was a quantum leap over any key I had ever owned or used. So amazing I would never want another key. Glad it was not engraved with my call because a year later in Dayton Ulrich, who works with the Begali folks there, put the magnetic classic next to a Sculpture and told me to compare.
    He pointed out that the magnetic classic has a longer lever out to the contact points but the Sculpture was much shorter.
    Anyway, yes, there is a difference. I saved up and got the Sculpture the following year. It is amazing. Perfection in every respect.
    It is so amazing, that I swear sometimes I think all you have to do is think code and it sends it automatically.
    My only caution, and this is so minor, is that the jack on the Sculpture is tight. I mean so tight you may not realize you don't have the plug pushed in all the way. I actually thought my Begali was defective. Silly boy.