Been a long time coming...

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by M0KBO, Jan 6, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. M0KBO

M0KBO Ham Member QRZ Page

Yesterday, finally got my first 'proper' CW QSO.

With shaking hands on the paddle I answered DR10CWO's CQ on 20m and got a response!

Was I perfect? Far from it. Did I stick to my little pre prepared QSO sheet I made? Nope! Was it fun? Tons!!!! But they received what I sent, slowed down loads for me and were very patient with the newbie.

Even responded to my humble email I sent explaining that I was a newbie and not a lid.

Kudos to them!

N7BKV, N2OTG, WB5YUZ and 13 others like this.
  2. K7MEM

K7MEM Ham Member QRZ Page

20 or 30 years ago, I was on 40 meters (old Novice CW area). The band was dead. I couldn't hear a single CW signal. I gave a few CQs, but couldn't get any response. Then I heard a nice clean CW signal, sending fairly slow. I copied the signal for a few minutes and was surprised at what I heard. The op wasn't sending a CQ, he was sending "hello is anyone out there can anyone hear me?" followed by his call sign. So I waited for the op to pause and gave him a call. You could tell he was excited, by the shakiness in his sending. It turned out that this was his first contact. After about 5 minutes he had to sign because he was exhausted.

In the early 80s I operated in Germany a DA2EU. My rig was "CW Only". Most of my operation was early evening and I found that 15 meters (21.100 - 21.150 MHz) was a great band to use. Every night the band was packed. 15 meters was usually open to all of England, Europe, Asia, and Africa until the sun went down. Propagation has surely changed a lot since then, but it's a good band to try.

M0KBO likes this.
  3. KN4YHP

KN4YHP Ham Member QRZ Page

Good stuff and congrats! I did my first CW QSO not too long ago and the shaking fist is still fresh in my mind. Maybe one evening when the bands are open we'll run into each other on the air.
    73!
    -Mike

M0KBO likes this.
  4. N8AFT

N8AFT Subscriber QRZ Page

Hey Richard, YaY You!
    Love the Case tractor pix with you on yer bio page btw....
    VY 73 from Lane in Ohio...

M0KBO likes this.
  5. WW2PT

WW2PT Ham Member QRZ Page

Congrats! My first CW QSOs were terrifying too! They get easier, though, so keep at it.

W7TCT and M0KBO like this.
  6. M6GYU

M6GYU Ham Member QRZ Page

Makes you wonder what instruction or training he received to get even a first Foundation Licence.

7. M6GYU

M6GYU Ham Member QRZ Page

It happens to many people - me included the first few times I came back to morse as a ham after a break of many years.

M0KBO likes this.
  8. AC8SV

AC8SV Ham Member QRZ Page

Congratulations! My first was about two years ago! Very exciting and fun. 1500 CW qso's later ... It's just as fun!!! Keep on the air and have a blast. Hope to work you one day. Feel free to email me if you ever want a QRS sked!

M0KBO likes this.
  9. M0KBO

Thanks guys for the responses, hopefully I'll catch you for a QSO or a sked at some point!

10. M0KBO

Thanks matey that's kind, I may well drop you an email soon! 73