ad: CQMM-1

Becoming a licensed radio amateur in Australia (VK) changed in February 2019

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VK6FLAB, Apr 22, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. VK6FLAB

VK6FLAB Ham Member QRZ Page

Becoming a licensed radio amateur in Australia (VK) changed in February 2019. I've documented the new process with the steps required.

2. M6NOQ

M6NOQ QRZ Member

Hi VK6FAB, do you know or have information on who to contact as to weather my UK licence is transferable to an Australian licence or if I can operate on my UK licence in Australia, I am moving back home to south Australia in the next few months. I am in the process of taking my intermidiate licence ( Standard ) and wish to operate on my return. Many thanks and 73's from southern England.

3. VK6FLAB

4. VK6FLAB

5. M0REU

M0REU Ham Member QRZ Page

Please be careful, these links relate to visiting a country, not moving back on a permanent basis. It would be wise to ask the acma directly about your intentions.

6. VK3DQ

VK3DQ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi Folks

Please be aware.

If you live in Australia permanently you will need to do the Practical exam this applies to Standard and Advanced Licenses , the Foundation exam includes a practical exam.

You will need also to Pass the Regulations exam again this applies to Standard and Advanced the Foundation includes a partial regulation exam

If you intend to live in Australia permanently you will need to sit these exams if you wish to obtain an Australian Certificate of Proficiency which you will require to obtain an Australian License

There are some options where overseas licenses can be used as "Prior Learning" , in some areas the rules are unclear and may be subject to change

However is fair to say that you will have to sit a practical and a regulations exam to obtain an Australian Certificate of Proficiency

Regards John VK3DQ 10 years ++ WIA assessor (Retired)

7. VK3DQ

If you are VISITING Australia different rules apply .. most likely you will be able to operate using your home license ,, IE VK/ HOMECALL for a short period but check with ACMA first

8. VK3DQ

you will more than likely be able to get an Australian Standard License , however you will not be able to get an Australian Certificate of proficiency until you sit the practical and Regulations exam ... and if you wish to upgrade from Standard to Advanced you will need to have Practical and Regulations

Frankly my advise would be to just sit the exams in the long run it will be easier and cost you less

Regards John VK3DQ 10 year ++ Wia assessor (Retired)

9. VK3DQ

In Australia to obtain an Amateur license you must be qualified

There are three grades of license matching three grades of qualification

The exams you sit are to gain the qualification NOT a license The Qualification is called A Certificate Of Proficiency

When you apply for a license called an Apparatus License you will need to provide details of your Certificate of Proficiency

..if you dont have a ACOP your home countries equivalent MAY be accepted this will allow you to get an Australian Apparatus License BUT will NOT get you an ACOP

Its a little complex at first My advice is that if you are coming to Australia Permanently its best it sit a Australian License , in the long run it will cost you less

Regards John VK3DQ 10 year ++ WIA assessor (Retired)

NB the WIA no longer operates the Exam Service

10. VK4SX

VK4SX Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi it would be much easier for the International QRZ members, if you EXPLAINED WHY the change's came around?
    do you have the information of why this was implemented?

Dennis vk4sx