Becoming a DXpedition team member.

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by ON6KE, Nov 14, 2017 at 8:53 AM.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-rfparts
  1. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah, really, I was born in Newark, and lived in Irvington for many years. Just passed through there a few days ago, enroute to sitting down with my Mom and other family members to give her The Talk.

I’ve been to a lot of places where one had to watch their 6. (Try being a Yankee fan watching them kick the Tigers butts in the old Tiger Stadium in Detroit. Surrounded on all sides by VERY unhappy Tiger fans. Now THAT is scary.). Newark? Hah! Nothing to it.

2. K7GQ

K7GQ Subscriber QRZ Page

Barring significant contest stature, you may find it easy to join an DXpedition as a "DXP" member. That is, one who pays more and is not expected to be a significant operator. Nonetheless, given enough stations, there will always be an occasion to fill in during a down-turn of a band (10m for example).

In a DXpedition, there are any number of activities requiring anyone present, such as station setup, camp setup, antenna setup, meals, performing backups, staying in contact with the transport vessel, processing and sorting requests from pilot stations - to name a few. Start with reaching out to a smaller DXpedition team leaders.

I hope to hear you on some DXpedition soon!

3. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Ahh been to Tiger stadium many times myself, TDY to Tank and Automotive Command in Detroit. You obviously never hung out in the projects in Newark, I have friends who grew up there in the HUD projects and they tell a very different story from yours. Guess they just weren't as tough as you, you must one seriously bad hombre.:D

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017 at 4:22 AM
  4. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

Me? A “seriously bad hombre”, whatever the blazes that is? Have you been drinking again? Stick to the stuff sold in the store, this bathtub gin is not good for you... :cool:

5. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

But it tastes better, it's the soap residue.

6. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

And depending on the destination, get a second mortgage on the house. :D

7. VA3VF

ROTFLM...I know what you mean. :D

8. VA3VF

20 years ago, first time in the US. I was with a co-worker in a rental car, lost around DC at night. We stopped to ask for directions. We got the dressing down of a lifetime. Crazy, idiot, you name it. Why? For being in a dangerous area. The funny thing was, after the dressing down, we had to ask him again if he could give us directions to get out of there. He did, when we got out. We could feel his heart was in the right place though. :D

9. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, with all those politicians, lobbyists and bureaucrats, yes, I’d agree that DC is dangerous.