Becoming a DXpedition team member.

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by ON6KE, Nov 14, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-rfparts
  1. ON6KE

ON6KE Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi everyone,
    I every now and then wonder how one can best become a DXpedition team member.

I'm an OK CW operator but not good enough to operate CW hour after hour for days in gone mad pileups.
    So what's left is taking part as an SSB or digi operator.
    The financial aspects that come with taking part in a DXpedition are not an issue for me.

Is it you're part or not part of the inner circle when it comes to putting together the list of operators or are there other criteria beyond being an able operator and letting know you're there to take part in worthwhile expeditions?

Regards
    Gust ON6KE ON7QRP

2. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

Gust,

When you hear about a major DXpedition being out together (which does not happen on the fly or overnight), contact the organizers and express your interest.

In the meantime, go on some “solo” small trips to get your feet wet, so to speak, and gain some experience.

W7UUU likes this.
  3. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

Doctors are in high demand.

These days, the ability to configure software settings is also highly valued, as is the ability to upload logs under difficult conditions. A recent operation was down to one operator while the other operator went into town to upload the logs.

Even the best operators and software is worthless if the hardware fails or is installed incorrectly. Lots of people can operate under difficult conditions. Not many can fix stuff under difficult conditions.

4. W6OGC

W6OGC Ham Member QRZ Page

You should have a reputation as a very good operator, who can hold up in adverse conditions, contribute to the non operating workload, get along with other team members, tenacious, physically fit, thrifty, clean, brave and reverent.

Become known to the organizers and participants, so when they are trying to organize, someone will suggest you as a team member.

Try some IOTA and SOTA activations to see how much fun it is, and how exasperating it can be. Look at VK5CE to Ashmore Reef, just ended.

If it was easy, everyone would do it!

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
  5. W4IOA

W4IOA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Money helps too. It's going cost you some serious change to participate

6. KK6NOH

KK6NOH Ham Member QRZ Page

so yeah

that eliminates pretty much everyone in one way or another

7. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm looking for a group of hams with no fear, a group who is willing to mount a DXpedition to one of the most dangerous places on earth. I have selected a location that would send shivers of fear down the yellow spines of ordinary men, but not Radio Men. Radio Men will go where no one else will, and pack expensive equipment and antennas with no fear day or night.

That's right, I'm talking about here,

Newark Projects.jpg

NEWARK, NJ. Weak units need not apply. All surviving :eek: DXpedition members will receive a commemorative set of iron balls mounted on a beautiful trophy worthy of this endeavor. Please contact anyone from around there for directions.:):D

WF4W and W5TTP like this.
  8. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

Really?

Newark isn’t at all scary. Nice try.

9. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

i used to operate from a public park in New Haven Connecticut but stopped because I couldn't count on the road being open--they wouldn't open the park if there wasn't enough money. As I recall, it was the very first place I went to where I saw a deer standing in the middle of the road I was driving.

10. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Really? Let me give you some places to visit.
    You might want to pack some heat. Oh and be sure to wear a gold necklace.