ad: MLSons-1

Become a Magnet Club for Newcomers to Our Hobby by Dave Jensen W7DGJ, Martin Buehring KB4MG

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by 4Z1UG, Mar 12, 2023.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. 4Z1UG

4Z1UG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

upload_2023-3-12_21-20-37.png
    Attention all amateur radio enthusiasts! Are you looking to attract and retain newcomers to the hobby? Join us at the QSO Today Virtual Ham Expo on March 26, 2023 for an engaging presentation on "Become a Magnet Club for Newcomers to Our Hobby" by Dave Jensen W7DGJ and Martin Buehring KB4MG, experts in amateur radio club development.

Learn about effective strategies for building a welcoming and inclusive club culture that attracts and retains new members, and get tips on how to organize and promote club events that appeal to a diverse audience. Don't miss out on this valuable opportunity to learn and connect with other ham radio enthusiasts from around the world. Register now at qsotodayhamexpo.com. #HamRadio #ClubDevelopment #Newcomers #VirtualEvent #QSOTodayHamExpo

https://wze95h.qsotodayhamexpo.com/sessionInfo/_become_a_magnet_club_for_newcomers_to_our

KI5UXW and KQ1V like this.
  2. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

Sometimes I think it would be much better to call it an Art over a hobby. Still good luck getting the right people and holding on to a club attitude. Very rare indeed.

KO4TXV, N7KO, KQ1V and 1 other person like this.
  3. W7DGJ

W7DGJ Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

It's amazing what can happen to a radio club when you find and recruit just ONE new ACTIVE MEMBER. Someone who participates, volunteers, gets excited, brings others in, and more. We've all seen this happen with the right new club members. And, likewise, we've also seen great people join up but get turned off by cliques and political nonsense in clubs. Our presentation will distill the best advice, not only from our personal experience, but from other hams whom we have interviewed on this subject. Please join us at QSO Today later this month!

TEMUJIN86 likes this.
  4. KB4MG

KB4MG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

There are a lot of new people entering the hobby. At the rate people are retiring, we expect a lot more growth. From our experience it is all about the leadership and the atmosphere created at the club meetings and events. It has to draw people in make them want to be involved. Once they get a sense of belonging, they stay.

KQ1V and W7DGJ like this.
  5. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, sometimes, but not aways.

Sometimes people enjoy the GROUP but are less motivated by the GROUP ACTIVITY. A Part 97 license is to an individual (even a club call has an individual trustee). As such, the individual often seeks out a GROUP to better : a) hone skills; b) learn something; c) get acknowledgement and recognition from peers; d) share experiences and good times; and so on. Sometimes the *group progress* is important to the individual, sometimes its not. Sometimes the individual's progress is accelerated by the group, and that is a darn good reason to be in a group.

One's sense of belonging often comes in with the individual; kindred spirits usually are attune to coming together when each already knows their spirit.

For many clubs, the motivation is making friends, breaking bread together, and so on. Some want to build bridges to the moon; others just want to appreciate it. Not everyone wants to be involved in a shared group 'activity' in a club, especially if there is only one activity, and it does not invoke being ON THE AIR.

The most important thing that any ham club can do is encourage and enable ON THE AIR activity. That's what the Part 97 license is about.

Chip W1YW

AE8EM, KK7LBC, KB5ZFP and 1 other person like this.
  6. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

The Part 97 mission never says "hobby". It says radio "arts".

W4MMR, AE8EM and K7GYB like this.
  7. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

True it never says hobby, but that does not preclude calling the Amateur Radio Service your hobby.

What it does say...

Part 97:3 DEFINITIONS (in part)
    "(4) Amateur service. A radiocommunication service for the purpose of self-training, intercommunication and technical investigations carried out by amateurs, that is, duly authorized persons interested in radio technique solely with a personal aim and without pecuniary interest."

N7KO, KB5ZFP, K7GYB and 1 other person like this.
  8. K7GYB

K7GYB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I totally agree. Even more importantly, for me at least, it is an important public service which is the primary reason Amateur Radio is regulated by the FCC. I know what it is like to be a refugee and Amateur Radio was there for me vis a vis the Red Cross and other emergency responders who all used their licenses to help somebody. The frequencies are getting harder to hold on to as commercial and public services are looking for more band space to use it for the important work they do. Calling something a hobby, and treating it as such, doesn't make it any easier to hold on what we've got, not to mention the incursion of other radio "hobbies'" culture into the bands.

KQ1V likes this.
  9. K7NGS

K7NGS Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I've had a horrible experience with Clubs, I've been a general for about 18 months and just under a year ago I moved county.

I looked up my local radio clubs, found on the next town over - registered on their website, heard nothing. Went to the published meeting, no meeting.

Alright I thought, maybe a small group that's gone under, so I looked up another club, in the next city over. This club has been in existence for over 100 years, again, requested info online - nothing. Once a month they have an open day at their club house, so I took a check and my membership form and headed down there. I was ignored by EVERYONE in the club except the treasurer who my check and chewed my ear off about the state of the local amateur scene. Bearing in mind I would estimate there were at least 50 other club members in that residential building at the time.

I followed up a couple of weeks later by email as I 'd heard nothing - then my wife tells me the check was cleared - guess i'm a member, but I've never heard from them, I registered on their site and they accepted my membership, but I have no idea what's going on there.

I've had similar experiences multiple times now, across different organizations in the 'hobby' - it's disheartening because I really want to contribute back to hobby in my local area, I have a significant amount of knowledge (I'm a linux guy by profession) that I can trade with them.

AE5OV, W7DGJ and W1YW like this.
  10. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't want to give the wrong impression abiout the speakers here: motivating people is always difficult and success shared is success spread.

The difficulty lies in 'selling' an enterprise which is predicated with an ON THE AIR mission.

Any and all clubs that address the 'get Techs on the air' issue, for example,are enabling and promoting the future of amateur radio.

Yes, a very good thing:)

W7DGJ likes this.
  11. KQ1V

KQ1V Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I go to the club for the coffee and company; we enjoy each other's company and chat about the hobby.

W7DGJ likes this.
  12. W7DGJ

Hi Chip. I'm afraid I didn't "get" your message. Was there a negative comment that you are trying to express about the speakers? I don't get it. Your comments and our presentation are right in line. We are here to enable and promote the future of amateur radio, and getting techs on the air is one of our "values" from the lessons learned. Dave

13. W7DGJ

Hi Dan, thanks for posting. I think you might like the article that I wrote for Trials and Errors on QRZ, interviewing Marty (my QSO Today partner). It's located at this link, and it's about clubs and how to avoid JUST WHAT YOU SAID. I had the same experience! One club I belong to is still a giant clique. I've tried to work my way into it but it's almost impossible. The club president doesn't even know my name yet, two years later! Dave

K7NGS, KB4MG and KQ1V like this.
  14. KQ1V

KQ1V Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It is a hobby, and the ARRL is 'supposed' to be our lobby voice... if they are not infighting or causing scandals within the organization.

KD1ELK likes this.
  15. KB4MG

KB4MG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I understand what you you are saying. This is one reason that Dave and I thought it was an important topic for the forum. We have to shine a light on these bad situations before anything changes. I am very sorry you had that kind of experience. Clubs must treat members as the important people that they are. I really hope that this forum can be a catalyst for change.